Has someone just de-flea'ed my cat?

(21 Posts)
StopLaughingDrRoss Mon 04-Jul-16 23:08:51

My lovely, cared for, healthy, 'clearly not a stray' cat has just come in with a weird damp patch on the back of his neck.

He has ishoos with local cats so thought perhaps he'd got into a scrape so got the salt water ready and started to clean it - only there isn't any blood or sign of attack.

It's in the obvious place where you'd put on the spot-on stuff and I'm a bit concerned. I adore my boy and he is on strict monthly doses which are designed for his size. If someone has for some completely unfathomable reason (he does NOT have fleas) decided to do this, can I hurt him by treating him again - he's not due for a couple of weeks - or could he be hurt as it's only been a couple of weeks since his last one?

He doesn't wear a collar but he is so obviously not a stray.. he is also not a 6 dinner Sid as his weight stays pretty stable (and he is a greedy boy so it wouldn't if he has his say!)

Could this actually be something else - brushed on from under a fence or from a bush? Not likely as the fur was ruffled, iykwim - bit cross someone thinks this is ok to be honest!

user1466610292 Mon 04-Jul-16 23:11:14

I find that flea stuff has a very distinct smell. Give him a sniff.

It is strange, unless he is going into someone else's house? Maybe they are concerned he may be bringing fleas into the house? Does he have a collar on?

YesItsMeIDontCare Mon 04-Jul-16 23:13:26

Sniff it, flea stuff has a recognisable smell.

Could he have been squirted with a water pistol by someone who doesn't appreciate cats in their garden?

StopLaughingDrRoss Mon 04-Jul-16 23:14:35

Not the most flattering of angles but here's my gorgeous boy - not really in need of intervention, I'd say angry

YesThisIsMe Mon 04-Jul-16 23:14:46

Not everybody can smell flea treatment - it's a genetic thingummy.

StopLaughingDrRoss Mon 04-Jul-16 23:17:15

I have had a good smell and it doesn't stink like the stuff I use normally...

And a water pistol would make sense - as mentioned, him and other cats are constantly defending territory (he is kept in overnight for that reason but has only just come home, dirty stop out!) - except it is such a small concentrated area so unless they held the nozzle on him? Or would super soakers do that? Not cross at all if that's whats happened - I take my makeshift empty ketchup bottle into the garden to deter visitors all the time!

cozietoesie Mon 04-Jul-16 23:17:26

Could another male have perhaps tried to .......'take advantage' of him and slobbered a bit rather than biting?

villainousbroodmare Mon 04-Jul-16 23:19:41

Flea spot on is oily, so if it's still evident tomorrow then it might be that. Or a random drip of something from wandering under a car?

StopLaughingDrRoss Mon 04-Jul-16 23:20:53

Now there a thought smile - my boy us quite a scaredy cat and does tend to run I think so not sure if he'd stay long enough to be mounted!

I guess I'm just more concerned about any toxicity.. is that a thing?

StopLaughingDrRoss Mon 04-Jul-16 23:21:42

Yes - oily, that's what it's like! But could be a car - it's just odd that it's exactly smack bang on the back of his neck...

YesItsMeIDontCare Mon 04-Jul-16 23:22:55

I had a tiny water pistol that shot a bloody good direct aim and left a small patch rather than a spray (used in combat with DS & DP - not cats!).

Tbh I think I'd still mark it on the calendar as I'd worry about "over-doing" flea treatment, just in case.

StopLaughingDrRoss Mon 04-Jul-16 23:26:02

Wondering whether to put a paper collar on to say 'Hands Off' bit how do these work? Do I just wrap some paper round or do you buy them? Not convinced he'd keep it on either way to be honest.

cozietoesie Mon 04-Jul-16 23:43:10

Have a look at this Stop. The wording isn't right but it will give you the general idea.

KingJoffreyLikesJaffaCakes Mon 04-Jul-16 23:48:25

Ooo, I have both a cat and rug similar to yours.

Flea stuff is greasy.

Can you taste it? Or is that going too far?

MsKite Mon 04-Jul-16 23:50:28

I was told by the vet that it's of to use the spot on flea stuff every 2 weeks of the cat has a flea allergy, to make sure that they definitely don't have fleas. Obviously it's best to check that this also applies to whatever brand of flea stuff you're actually using though.

StopLaughingDrRoss Mon 04-Jul-16 23:58:25

Haha to tasting it grin I would... except he's gone to ground for the night. I think I will do as villianous suggests and check in the morning as you can normally see the patch for a day or so once I've done it.

And interesting Kite - I may have a Dr Google in the morning too. It's vet prescribed so quite strong I think but would put my mind at rest!

StopLaughingDrRoss Mon 04-Jul-16 23:59:20

Oh - and thanks Cozie - that collar looks ideal

Batteriesallgone Tue 05-Jul-16 00:03:16

Just phone your vet and ask how risky it might be to treat him again

StopLaughingDrRoss Tue 05-Jul-16 09:54:04

I spoke to my vet this morning as the patch is quite clearly still there. Whilst she thinks it's unlikely someone has done it, she's suggested keeping an eye on him for the next couple of days. Typically, I'm away for work today but he was his usual demanding self this morning so hope he's ok!

Just odd!

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Tue 05-Jul-16 12:59:47

I had this too! Exactly where you'd put Spot On! I rang the vet and they said keep an eye and it's not happened again. I think maybe he got dripped on as he goes under the neighbour's cars.

Lorsaidthedean Wed 06-Jul-16 19:43:57

I'd be really happy if someone fleatreated our cat. The little fucker really hates spot-on, and I still have the wounds to prove it. Tried distracting with dreamers, wrapping in a towel etc, but he somehow knows and takes evasive action.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now