Peeing outside (just outside) litter tray

(10 Posts)
Bogburglar99 Sun 03-Jul-16 22:07:42

Advice much appreciated! BB has always been immaculately litter trained from 13 weeks. He has a big covered litter tray in a discreet corner.

This morning there was a small puddle just outside the entrance. We thought okay, maybe he missed his aim (analogy between young boy cats and small boys?) Then this evening he came in, went into the litter tray and spent some time in there. Then came OUT and with great concentration and taking some time over it, wee'd again just outside the entrance angry

Only possible stressful circumstance is that we have had a visitor to stay one night, first time since we had him. She's not especially intimidating and didn't bring a Rottweiler or anything!

He is neutered male, on mix of good quality wet and dry food, eating and drinking fine and not seeming unwell in any other way.

Any suggested courses of action? TIA.

BeBopTalulah Mon 04-Jul-16 10:18:34

What age is he now? Is there anything new about the tray? I'd try it without the cover. It sounds like he knows what he should be doing, but just isn't happy about something. It could also be the type of litter. Cats are fussy buggers...

user1466610292 Mon 04-Jul-16 10:29:00

Mine likes to sit inside the litter tray, stick his bum over the edge and poop on the floor. I realise this isn't a help to you but I just thought I would share. To be honest this is actually an improvement for mine as he used to poop in the flowerpots of my indoor plants 🙄

On another note I do have a normal cat who goes in the litter tray but she does get upset if we change the litter, or the solution I wash the tray with or if there is a wee near the entrance to the litter tray, she doesn't like to walk over that bit so will do it outside - or once on the lid of the litter tray. Maybe she isn't that normal after all.

Bogburglar99 Mon 04-Jul-16 17:21:51

Thanks all. I tried it without the cover before and he went on litter tray strike (not pee ing at all apparently!)

Hopefully it's just an aberration. He hasn't done it again today and the only thing different was the overnight (human) visitor at the weekend.

user1466610292 Mon 04-Jul-16 19:22:46

Cats are crazy!

Bogburglar99 Mon 04-Jul-16 21:32:35

Spoke too soon. Pee all over the sofa and then again on floor near litter tray. He also seems to be spending an awful long time IN the litter tray before the offending puddle.

Bladder infection? Time for a vet trip?

AnotherEmma Mon 04-Jul-16 21:34:58

YY vets

Bogburglar99 Mon 04-Jul-16 21:43:48

Thanks. Poor old BogBastard. I'll get DH to call them in the morning.

AnotherEmma Tue 05-Jul-16 16:35:07

Any news?

Bogburglar99 Tue 05-Jul-16 18:31:53

Definitely inflamed bladder/ cystitis poor puss sad. Has the appropriate meds so fingers crossed.
The worry is blockage so we are now on Pee Watch and will be happy to see him go when and wherever!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now