Two questions about kitten

(15 Posts)
Alakazam7 Sun 03-Jul-16 16:19:59

Hi I have a six month old kitten and want to ask someone with a bit more experience as he's my first pet. He has suddenly stopped using his litter tray, for the last 4 days he is only using it to pee in. I've assumed that as he is eating and otherwise well he has found somewhere else to use (he has open access to a garden throughout the day) but should I be concerned? Also is there a way to train him not to wake up at 4.15 every morning and demand food? He used to wake at 7 ish but for the past few weeks he has developed this new habit! Thanks

FuzzyOwl Sun 03-Jul-16 16:23:23

I wouldn't be concerned about the litter tray as he has access to the outside. As for being demanding at 4.15, you do realise that you are the kitten's slave now and whatever he wants is what you have to do? Seriously though, you could try leaving down biscuits when you go to bed so there is food for him to eat. He is probably going through a bit of a growth spurt and needing more food.

Wolfiefan Sun 03-Jul-16 16:23:54

Is he neutered?
Can you put some food down late at night, shut him out of your bedroom or get black out curtains?

Alakazam7 Sun 03-Jul-16 16:31:07

Yes he is neutered, I've got blinds so they shut out most of the light. I've put dried food down at night, I think he's just decided that is morning and I should be up and about and making a fuss of him. Otherwise he runs the house so I guess this is no different!

titchy Sun 03-Jul-16 16:37:45

Lol at the idea that you can train him! He seems to have trained you though grin

minatiae Sun 03-Jul-16 16:43:33

He's probably pooing outside.

As for the food, get an automatic feeder set to the time he wakes up so he gets fed without needing to wake you up!

Alakazam7 Sun 03-Jul-16 16:47:49

Yes he's well and truly trained me! I'll try an automatic feeder this week but have a feeling it's not just about the food! I suppose he must be pooing outside but I've no evidence of that. He does like to visit next doors garden though!

RubbishMantra Sun 03-Jul-16 16:58:42

Mine only use the tray for peeing in. Unless the weather's REALLY bad, the just use it for peeing.

I don't know what to suggest about the waking up issue. Does he have wet food as part of his diet? If he does, you could try a timer feeder?

Alakazam7 Sun 03-Jul-16 17:24:07

Yes he does have wet food, I'll look into a timer feeder for him this week. Up until now he has just used the tray so it has been a big change, suppose he's growing up!

Alakazam7 Sun 03-Jul-16 18:57:01

Thanks for the responses- A little picture of Dave for you!

pigsDOfly Sun 03-Jul-16 20:10:42

Cats are crepuscular: they hunt at dawn and dusk, so 4.15 am is the time he's going to up and doing now he's no longer a tiny kitten. He's probably shocked at your lack of activity at such a late hour smile

Not sure what you can do about it tbh. As you're finding out cats are a law unto themselves. You could try leaving some dry food out for him overnight, then pull the duvet over your head and try to pretend you're still asleep.

Wait till he starts bringing in mice for you at that time of the morning and depositing them under your bed as happened to me with one of mine.

Love the name.

Alakazam7 Sun 03-Jul-16 21:08:34

Thanks, that explains it a bit more. I'll try ignoring him tonight apart from leaving some food out. He hasn't shown any sign of hunting yet but I'm prepared for that in the future.

Wolfiefan Sun 03-Jul-16 21:10:28

Oh my but he's gorgeous! Ours went through a phase of waking stupidly early now I think about that. They are now a year and sleep through. Do kittens have growth spurts?! grin

RubbishMantra Sun 03-Jul-16 21:25:38

Dave's gorgeous! I have a fondness for B&Ws, having one myself.

Mine are (sort of) grown up now, but the little Devon Rex will stamp up and down my sleeping body if hr decides it's time to give me a wake-up call.

Alakazam7 Sun 03-Jul-16 22:23:56

Yes that's what he is doing, starts off just shouting at me and paddling on my head then eventually resorts to dive bombing if I don't respond as quickly as I should! He is so good otherwise so if I could sort this somehow that would be great. I'll try tonight with extra food and pretending to be asleep!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now