Talk

Advanced search

Games Cats Play

(29 Posts)
Bogburglar99 Sun 03-Jul-16 10:19:04

I have realised in the last few weeks that BogBastard has a new game in which I'm expected to participate. If I set foot in the garden, he rushes ahead of me and crouches hidden in the bush halfway up. I am then expected to walk past the bush whistling nonchalantly, until a stone of cat launches out of the bush and pounces on my ankles.

He thought he had it made yesterday by trying a different bush, but hadn't reckoned on the plant in the way ...

Bogburglar99 Sun 03-Jul-16 10:22:04

Do your beasties have similar games which they get very offended if you don't join in with?

NotYoonique Sun 03-Jul-16 10:41:53

The youngest of my two likes to wait on the landing in the night and if you come out to use the loo he will roll over in front of your feet so you nearly step on him.

He also likes to run into the bathroom, jump in the bath and look at the tap until you put it on for him. But it is only one time out of twenty that he will drink, most of the time he just looks at it like a fancy art installation.

Piemernator Sun 03-Jul-16 10:44:20

Up chucking a fur ball on clean laundry.

Lorsaidthedean Sun 03-Jul-16 12:26:22

After breakfast Lemmy leaves the room and sits on the stairs. My Dh then has to chase him upstairs to his room. If he doesn't get chased he returns to check what has gone wrong.

WeirdAndPissedOff Sun 03-Jul-16 13:31:23

Youngest cat is definitely one for this.
She will sit behind the curtain, and wait for you to touch it so she can pounce on your hand.
She also hides under things so you can be pounced on while walking past.
And she loves being chased around the garden - I always worried about stressing her out, but if you don't chase she comes back and waits for you.

TSSDNCOP Sun 03-Jul-16 13:34:26

TSSBoy goes out the back door, up the alley and round to the front door where there is no cat door, so he has to be let in. About 20 times a day.

RubbishMantra Sun 03-Jul-16 15:55:03

Have you read the T.A. book "The Games People Play", Bog?

If I'm upstairs, Little Monsieur pretends he doesn't know where I am, wailing like a banshee. I have to make the same noise back, and he glefully runs up the stairs, making an "ungungung" noise then a triumphant "errr, unnngYA noise when he "finds" me.

*NotYoonique", mine does the same, rolling on the stairs, then staring at the tap in wonder.

They've both grown out of the fetch the toy stage, but sometimes it would go on for hours, or I'd wake up to a manky toy dropped on my face in the middle of the night.

BeBopTalulah Mon 04-Jul-16 10:24:03

One of mine still fetches. You can throw ANYTHING and he'll run after it like a loon. The other has trained me on cue (usually when all other needs have been met and he's still hanging around meowing) to say "I'm gonna get you!" in a squeaky voice, to which he jumps a foot in the air like a starfish and shoots off up the stairs. I am then meant to follow him and find him, then repeat...

BorpBorpBorp Mon 04-Jul-16 10:34:45

I have 2 and they play with each other a lot, but BorpCat2 will sometimes push it too far. He bit BorpCat1 on the bottom once during play and she was outraged.

Oldraver Mon 04-Jul-16 11:00:43

Yes, yes this is Ernies favourite game. He stalks me all over the garden and ambushes me and I have to pretend I dont notice him. If I crouch and pretend to hide behind a plant he will start stalking.

We also have a little wall round one part of the patio with a drop on the other side... he will stalk me along the wall and if I bend down to hide he will then jump on my back...he doesn't know what to do then and flops for a bit then jumps back on th wall

Bogburglar99 Mon 04-Jul-16 17:23:27

Okay they do all play games! Love hearing about these. It's the having to pretend not to notice that really amuses me oldraver!

CrazyDuchess Mon 04-Jul-16 17:29:19

Furrybastard 1 plays fetch... but now has taken to dropping said item just out of reach..... it's almost like I am fetching for her hmm

sashh Tue 05-Jul-16 07:59:56

Mine has the full name 'Marquisa Gatta Mysteriosa, Hunter of Legs' because she does this, well actually she hasn't done it as much recently.

We do make up events for the 'kitty olympics' such as 'pussing human' - this is insisting you get the human's attention to paddy them even if this involves being between the human and the phone they are using.

Flumping AKA tarting- she has a habit of running in front of you and then flumping so her belly is on show and you are then expected to tickle said belly.

There is the sleeping in different places event, she has mastered:
the desk drawer
the book shelf
sitting up
on the radiator

and her favorite, getting the neighbours to feed her - three that I know of

Bogburglar99 Tue 05-Jul-16 09:19:33

BogBastard has the Olympic balance event which involves taking the wing back chair you fitted onto the back of as a kitten, draping your one-stone mass over it like a furry antimacassar and sticking your legs out at weird angles to act as outriggers keeping you balanced.

If your humans have not read the memo or are feeling mean, they may come and affectionately tickle the contestant at this stage in the event smile

RubbishMantra Tue 05-Jul-16 11:23:42

You need to teach him to play Centrifugal Bumble Puppy kitten.

iloveeverykindofcat Fri 08-Jul-16 14:10:59

I've trained Zara to have her teeth brushed, but only if I catch her first. Once I've caught her, she stays perfectly still with her mouth open and lets me do it with no fuss. I think she ran away at first because she didn't want it done, and it's somehow become part of the ritual in her mind.

RubbishMantra Fri 08-Jul-16 17:40:10

I'm trying to get used to mine having their teeth brushed, ilove.

Does she open her mouth, or do you have to open it for her? I've been getting them used to the taste - LM loves it, but MCat's proving a little more unimpressed, but he's just had a tartar removal, so is probably a bit sore.

I tried the first actual brushing last night with little M, and most of it ended up around his face.

iloveeverykindofcat Fri 08-Jul-16 18:27:04

They pretty much open their mouths for me. I wrote about it here:
www.mumsnet.com/Talk/the_litter_tray/2486247-Training-cats-to-have-their-teeth-brushed

Mycatsabastard Fri 08-Jul-16 18:30:17

Girl cat 3 is a little shit.terror for sitting next to my chair and when I put my arm on the side of it she launches herself at me, claws and teeth. I am a mass of scratches and cuts.

FurryLittleTwerp Fri 08-Jul-16 18:55:23

One of ours likes to do "lunatic stair rolling" - turning upside down & pulling herself backwards with her claws along the bottom step, sometimes on the step partway up where the stairs change direction.

The other likes to ambush us in the garden - she flattens herself as we approach, pretending not to notice, then suddenly jumps up & runs ahead as fast as possible.

Both like to chase up & down the stairs, either separately or together - we are expected to join in & run up & down as well grin

Bogburglar99 Fri 08-Jul-16 19:34:27

BogBastard has celebrated feeling better by scrambling fifteen feet up the neighbours conifer. There was a triumphant mewing from up there which seemed to translate as LOOK AT ME! grin

RubbishMantra Fri 08-Jul-16 19:38:57

Haha, mine does Lunatic Stair Rolling. He hangs onto each step with his claws, stopping along the way to madly rub his cheeks/chin on his step of choice. Like a display of "look and worship how cute I am!"

When he was a kitten, he rolled down the stairs, then managed to roll onto DH's lap. Then crashed out til bed-time.

Bogburglar99 Fri 08-Jul-16 19:42:56

Anyone's do Lunatic Sloth Under Furniture? Like lunatic stair rolling but you pull yourself along on your back underneath an armchair or sofa, hanging on with your claws?

FurryLittleTwerp Fri 08-Jul-16 20:24:26

The cat we had when I was a child did the Lunatic Sloth Under Furniture thing - he was much too big really, weighing in at a good stone - lovely Thomas - such a nice cat smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now