"Un-natural" behaviour

(4 Posts)
Allergictoironing Sun 03-Jul-16 08:39:07

There's a lot of perceived wisdom about keeping 2 (or more) cats that mine ignore - they have the choice of litter trays but only ever use one, and they prefer to eat from the same bowl at the same time even though there are 2 identical bowls of food.

I've mentioned in the past that Girlcat is clearly the boss over Boycat, but also seems quite protective of him, and today was the ultimate (IMO). Went in, put down the morning Dreamies and started to clean poo from the litter tray. Then I realised Girlcat hadn't eaten all the Dreamies - an unprecedented event; she had actually left them for Boycat despite being an absolute fiend for her treats! It wasn't that she didn't want any more, as I put a few more down after he had come to eat the ones she had left, & she went straight for them.

cozietoesie Sun 03-Jul-16 08:54:06

I don't think it's 'un-natural' - it's just them. Cats usually develop their own way of doing things within the overall structure that you lay down. smile

I'd still keep to the two trays though, even if one doesn't appear to be favoured. I've long given up trying to pre-guess about tray choice. Seniorboy, for example, has two permanent trays and one may seem to be redundant for the longest time whereupon he'll suddenly start to use it. Who can tell? smile

Allergictoironing Sun 03-Jul-16 09:39:09

Oh I agree - hence why "un-natural" was in quotes (even though that went wrong in the title!). They will always have a spare litter tray out just in case, the same as the food will always be divided between 2 bowls even though they seem to currently prefer to share one then go to the other.

There are so many ways cats are supposed to behave according to everything you read, but every cat and relationship will be different and may well change over time.

The one I can't get over was her leaving some Dreamies for him this morning shock.

cozietoesie Sun 03-Jul-16 09:44:42

Yes - they have quirks. smile

Cats, like people, have to adapt to your household but your household also has to adapt to them. We don't run the place currently as we would if Seniorboy wasn't around. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now