Talk

Advanced search

Neighbour just adopted a cat-hating dog.

(14 Posts)
RubbishMantra Sat 02-Jul-16 18:33:31

My neighbour has just adopted a dog, knowing it will go for any cat. We share a courtyard, not a problem, he doesn't let the dog out there. However, one of my cats, a very un-streetwise Devon Rex, who thinks he has the right to go into his house, through open doors, windows etc.

I've asked the neighbour on many occasions to let me know if this a problem, and that I will provide him with a supersoaker if my cat's being a nuisance, which he declined, and actively encourages him to come in by giving him Dreamies.

When neighbour told me he'd adopted the dog, knowing that it goes for cats, I said I'm going to get you a supersoaker (I've ordered one already) and he said "Oh no, I couldn't do that to your cat!" I tried to explain, better a squirt of water, than my cat ripped apart, but he was having none of it.

What can I do/say to make him understand that even though he likes my cat coming into his house, it's too dangerous?

hmcAsWas Sat 02-Jul-16 18:35:10

shock - he's clueless isn't he

ApostrophesMatter Sat 02-Jul-16 18:37:13

Keep your cat inside, its the only way to keep it safe.

WhoTheFuckIsSimon Sat 02-Jul-16 18:43:24

I would have thought the cat will smell the dogs scent as they cross the threshold and turn tail and run and never go back to their house. My cats sat in the garden for two weeks when I got a new dog and refused to come in!

cozietoesie Sat 02-Jul-16 18:52:39

As I said on your other thread, hasn't he also done some ........rather questionable other things as well?

cozietoesie Sat 02-Jul-16 18:54:05

It may be that my memory's at fault of course.

RubbishMantra Sat 02-Jul-16 20:39:12

I think that's the other neighbour. Cozie sad

I can't keep him inside Apostrophe, he's been used to going outside as a kitten, (he's just over 2yrs) and chooses not to venture out of the courtyard, whereas my other streetwise cat roams the back gardens. It would be a half-life for him. He loves sitting under the rosemary bush, or sitting on the wall, smelling the breeze. If he'd always been an indoor cat, then that would be viable.

WhoTheFuck, he has no fear, was born in a house with a dog, and just assumes everybody wants to be his friend. He wasn't put off visiting by my neighbour's previous sadly departed, very gentle dog.

Neighbour's reassured me that if he opens the (kitchen) windows facing onto the yard, that he'll keep the new vicious dog shut in the front room. But what if he forgets, like if he gets pissed or distracted? He drinks a lot.

I know it's absolutely his right to keep whatever pet he chooses, but I don't understand why he knowingly took on a dog that goes for cats, whilst sharing a courtyard with 2 cats.

I just hope I can make him understand that the supersoaker is a better option than my little cat being torn to pieces.

Fluffycloudland77 Sat 02-Jul-16 21:09:32

I suppose this courtyard can't be partitioned off due to rights of way?.

cozietoesie Sat 02-Jul-16 21:10:49

I would actually take this very seriously. Acquiring a dog is one thing, but acquiring a dog that really dislikes cats is........unneighbourly in the circumstances to say the least. Saying that he'll continue to entice your little cat in eg with Dreamies is tantamount to 'baiting' in my eyes.

I'd keep LM inside - despite the difficulties - and have a word with the PCSO directly. When does the new dog arrive? And do you know what breed it is ?

cozietoesie Sat 02-Jul-16 21:22:45

Where is he acquiring this dog from by the way? And if it's from a rescue, do they know all the circumstances?

Goodness forbid that he should let it out of a night when there were other cats or small children around.

RubbishMantra Tue 05-Jul-16 12:29:30

I could partition part of it off Fluffy, because I do actually own part of it, even though the rest is common land for some bizzare reason. Even if I were to partition it, the cats could still climb over.

I've given him the supersoaker, and said in no uncertain terms, that he must use it if my cats come into his house, and he says he's thrown the Dreamies away. I didn't think to tell him about hissing at LM, Ill tell him about that today. But he seems to be of the opinion that what I'm asking him to do is cruel.

It's a Lab, and the rescue centre told him it hates cats and goes for them, but he still adopted it.

I mean, he's said he'll keep all windows and doors shut that lead onto the courtyard, but accidents happen. He's also said he won't encourage LM into his house anymore.

RubbishMantra Tue 05-Jul-16 12:48:46

He also has a prostitute visit him once a week, fair enough, his business - but she propositioned DDDH in Tesco's, saying she recognised him because she "did business" with NDN, saw his wedding ring and enquired as to whether "he was getting enough at home." It really freaked him out. She's very loud when she comes round, and often her driver/pimp sits outside in the car, waiting for her with his engine running.

I've already had words with him about that, because there was a bit of a scandal a while back, where she was in the local papers for running a brothel, and had to pay a lot of money back to HMRC. He just doesn't seem to understand boundaries/respecting other folk's space.

hmcAsWas Thu 07-Jul-16 09:08:09

OMG propositioned in Tesco, who needs that!

RubbishMantra Thu 07-Jul-16 17:25:22

I know, bad enough negotiating the aisles full of trolleys and screaming children, right? DH and I had a good laff about it once he'd stopped feeling weirded out by it.

I dropped by last night and lied said that I'd spoken to the RSPCA, and that he must discourage my little Monsieur from coming into his house. He said he'd already used the water pistol, so I'm feeling slightly more hopeful.

I also have plans to build an extension, with a roof terrace that I'll cat-proof on the part of the courtyard I own.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now