Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Could we foster?

(7 Posts)
WannaBe Thu 30-Jun-16 17:42:27

Lost my beautiful rescue cat two weeks ago when she was hit by a car. sad. All very upsetting, actually more upset about this cat than the one I lost after seventeen years, perhaps because she went so suddenly and was so young.

My house is quiet without a cat. Had vowed never again, even though DS is keen and keeps pointing out cats to me on the Battersea website. grin.

But I've been thinking more lately, had been thinking before we adopted Tigi actually whether I could foster instead of adopt?

I have the time, am not currently working full-time, have a spare room for cats to have as their own space, have the patience to give to cats and the love...

So has anyone done it and can tell me what's involved?

thecatneuterer Thu 30-Jun-16 19:28:28

Rather than reinvent the wheel I will, if you don't mind, just link to our page on fostering. It details both the types of fostering we need and what is involved. I should think this will be more or less the same for all charities.

www.celiahammond.org/index.php/2015-02-07-13-01-25/fostering-appeal

thecatneuterer Thu 30-Jun-16 19:28:58

If you have any questions on this please feel free to ask.

Toddlerteaplease Thu 30-Jun-16 21:30:33

I've done it short term for the rescue I got my girls from. The longest being 3 nights. I have done it for 3 cats now. I can't bear having to take them up to the rescue. I absolutely fell in love with one of them and still regret not keeping her. But I know it was for he best and they all have lovely homes. No way could o do it for Longer than a night or two.

ShotsFired Fri 01-Jul-16 08:51:08

I fostered as a toe in the water, several years after my beloved cat died.

It is heartbreaking and amazing in the same breath. So go into it with your eyes open, but I would heartily recommend it.

(It finally led me to adopting our current cat who was also about to go on the foster list.)

littleladyluna Sun 03-Jul-16 13:07:51

I foster in SW London for a teeny tiny cat and dog rescue charity. Probably the most incredible thing I've ever done. We decided to foster because I was desperate for a cat and our landlord was happy for us to have one however we couldn't guarantee our situation for the lifetime of the cat.

We have now bought a house and are in a position to adopt a cat, however we will continue to foster for the foreseeable future. I love how included we feel in the charity's works and how we get updates about the cats we have fostered. It has really given my life an extra faucet to have helped all these cats to go on to their forever home.

I did cry like a baby when our first foster was adopted though. We had her for three months and rehabilitated her from being virtually feral to enjoying head rubs and sleeping at the foot of the bed.

I'd be happy to answer any questions you have.

Toddlerteaplease Sun 03-Jul-16 16:55:35

Little lady, I agree about being involved in the rescue. They ring me up now when they want a cat taking up to them. It's 80 miles away but I really enjoy doing it. As they are such lovely people and I get to play with their cats. ( plotting to catnap one of them, foiled so far!) my girls have given me so much, that it's nice to be able to put something back into a tiny charity.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now