Talk

Advanced search

What the hell does my cat want???

(21 Posts)
Maybebabybee Thu 30-Jun-16 10:34:12

Following me round incessantly yowling at me!!

Thirsty? No

Hungry? No

Want a cuddle? No

Want to play? No

Want to go out? No

Does anyone else's cat do this???

Livvy79 Thu 30-Jun-16 10:36:40

Female cat in heat??

mumsnit Thu 30-Jun-16 10:37:13

Yes some days she does and I'm at a loss to know what she wants!

I do have the most greedy cat ever so usually assume the yowling is food related 😸

cozietoesie Thu 30-Jun-16 10:37:33

Mine always have. They want to talk! grin

How do you respond?

MrsJayy Thu 30-Jun-16 10:40:31

I used to chat to my cat when she did this sometimes they just luv you lots 😊

cozietoesie Thu 30-Jun-16 10:40:42

That's a possibility, Livvy - male or female - if they're unneutered.wink

Banana99 Thu 30-Jun-16 10:40:48

Yes! All day. I'm lucky I usually chuck him out at this point, I was trying to tidy yesterday and he was sitting on everything I needed to tidy

MoonfaceAndSilky Thu 30-Jun-16 10:43:46

Is it a bengal - they don't shut up and are bloody bonkers grin

Maybebabybee Thu 30-Jun-16 10:49:40

No she's a Birman and spayed so definitely not in heat!

She chews up wires as well, I think she may think she is a dog

How do I respond? Cuddles or talking asking her what the fuck she wants usually.

She is indoor so is higher maintenance than other cats but my goodness - it's like having a second baby!

Livvy79 Thu 30-Jun-16 10:49:49

I've got 2 unspayed Sphynx cats...literally the loudest most attention-seeking things ever!!

DarkLikeVader Thu 30-Jun-16 10:51:47

Mine does this and yes, she's a Bengal! She's usually lonely but occasionally she means, 'this food, which I usually love, in my bowl, is not a substitute for the ham which I know is in the fridge, Human. Feed me ham. Ham. HAM HAM HAM'.

cozietoesie Thu 30-Jun-16 10:54:35

Talk back to her - every single time. In fact, I often 'get my retaliation in first' with mine. (You wouldn't have a quiet life here but then I'm well trained with Siamese. Oriental breeds can be a mouthy lot.)

InsufficientlyCaffeinated Thu 30-Jun-16 10:55:39

Mine does this when he wants to play. He's very insistent that I abandon everything to give him attention if he's feeling lively and bored

cozietoesie Thu 30-Jun-16 11:02:19

I recall being more than a little concerned when The Lodger moved in with us - he was so quiet! (I'm just used to a constant noise level from the Siamese - right bunch of prima donnas - and he would simply glide past noiselessly. I wasn't used to it so it perturbed me a bit.)

user1465823522 Thu 30-Jun-16 11:38:57

two of our six cats like to sit on our next door neighbours window ledge and cry until he lets them in and feeds them.There is nothing wrong with them. They are just freeloading assholes.

iloveeverykindofcat Thu 30-Jun-16 12:48:16

When Bibi does this she wants me to engage with her 'talking'. So I have to say 'yes, Beebs?...Is it?...I agree....that's what I think as well...' in the appropriate tone and then she's happy :S

Germgirl Thu 30-Jun-16 13:05:36

PicklePig does this. He just wants a chat. Maybe a head bunt but mainly just a chat. If I agree a few times and throw in the odd "noooooo! And THEN what happened?!!" He wanders off happily and goes back to sleep.

hollinhurst84 Fri 01-Jul-16 22:53:33

Ah a Birman grin
Been there, got the t shirt. I think they like the sound of their own voice but yes to chatting back

Qwebec Mon 04-Jul-16 03:09:16

Oh I like that Germgirl, I think I'll steal you line. Sometimes I just don't know how to continue the conversation after a few "yes, really?, miew miew and I don't understand what you are telling me"

wallywobbles Mon 04-Jul-16 04:44:19

I read that cats don't miaow to other cats they learn to miaow to communicate with us. Like they are copying speech.

cozietoesie Mon 04-Jul-16 07:58:43

A Siamese 'conversation'.

Me, Me, Me, The Temperature, Me, Me, Me, The Weather, Me, Me, Me, The Economic Situation In China, Me, Me, Me, The Carpet, Me, Me, Me, Food, Me...................

Are you sensing a theme? grin

Like many posters, I suspect I could 'Unh Huh' at international level if required. wink I sometimes have an uneasy feeling that I'm missing out on some great Truth but Hey Ho.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now