Help someone is catnapping my cat!

(6 Posts)
happygardening Wed 29-Jun-16 08:31:07

Over the last few months my cat has not come home for increasingly long periods of time.
Initially 24 hours then 36 hours, 3 days, 4 days then a week. Every time he would come he returned he would rush in looking flustered and upset but always not hungry. I'd collared and tagged him after the second episode because I think someone had him and had locked him in and was feeding him thinking he was a stray (I'm being generous if this is the case because he doesn't look like a stray.
I month ago he went missing again this time after a week we put leaflets through 200 front doors offering a very substantial reward (thank you JL insurance) a he didn't turn up so we sadly resigned ourselves to the fact that he'd gone for good.
Then last night out of the blue he walked back in again. He's clearly been well fed as he's looking fat although I think from looking at his fur and the state of his collar he's been kept in a shed or outbuilding rather than lounging on someone arm chair.
What do I do? I've temporarily blocked off the cat flap. But long term it's not realistic to keep him in, I've two dogs and another cat, our house is very secure and we frequently go out and leave our back door wide open so they can go in and out as they please. I have a 6 foot wall round my garden and he's no big jumper but he goes over it from a permanent fixture that's only 3 foot high.

DartmoorDoughnut Wed 29-Jun-16 08:37:57

Can you get some of that inward facing curved fencing to go on the top of the fence to stop him jumping over? Or net the garden?! Sorry not sure either of this are sensible but didn't want to read and run

happygardening Wed 29-Jun-16 12:00:55

Yes I was thinking of something like that obviously I don't want the garden to look like Alcatraz, on the other hand it mustn't be possible for him to get over if he put on a supreme effort then find he could get backho he goes from my garden into my neighbours garden and they have two very large gun dogs and from experience of gun dogs I know they'll chase a cat. At home he's a timid and slightly rattled by my completely pathetic harmless dogs although he grew up with them. The surprising thing is that I wouldn't put him down as a cat that would go into other people's homes (we had one before who was very keen on doing this), or a great roamer, I also don't see him as an athletic lean mean killing machine, more of a couch potato sitting on a comfortable chair in solitude. One never knows what they do when they leave.
I have also wondered about electric fencing the sort of thing I've used to use for horses.

Oldraver Wed 29-Jun-16 12:28:48

Does he wear a collar ? if so could you use a tracker ?

I have a neighbour that has form for keeping 'poor' cats in. No amount of explaining they were actually harming the cat (who had medical needs and had missed tablets and vet appointments) would get through to them.

GinLimeandLemonade Thu 30-Jun-16 13:27:33

Could you attach something like this to his collar? www.thetileapp.com/en-gb/

emmaMBC Fri 01-Jul-16 16:19:50

Try one of those 'Do Not Feed Me' collars.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now