Talk

Advanced search

Cystitis/UTI

(11 Posts)
iloveeverykindofcat Tue 28-Jun-16 19:18:56

Bibi has a bit of cystitis at the moment. I don't think it's bad as she's not running back and forth to the tray, straining or crying, just doing small amounts of pee when she goes with a trace of red blood. I noticed it tonight and have just started her on cystease tablets, and will add extra water to her food in the morning. She's had this before and it normally just goes away in a couple of days, but I will still ring the vet in the morning for advice and obviously take her if she becomes worse. Just wondering if there's anything else I can do for her right now, or any tips/experience in speeding along the passing (sorry) of cystitis episodes?

Fluffycloudland77 Tue 28-Jun-16 19:52:37

I think you're doing everything I'd do. Vet will know what to do.

iloveeverykindofcat Wed 29-Jun-16 20:15:31

Thanks. Vet basically agreed that we should do cystease for a couple of days, and if that doesn't work bring her in to get some anti-inflams. She's fine in herself, as bolshy, greedy and talkative as ever, but it's always a bit worrying when they've got a health issue sad

Hislopssloppyseconds Wed 29-Jun-16 20:22:59

My cat had this when she arrived from the rescue centre.

Whether its coincidence or not, Im not sure but since starting the following it hasnt happened since;

Cyatease - one a day for a few weeks

I increased her 1 wet pouch a day to 2.

Changed her biscuits to Purina Once Urinary Care 50 grams a day

Fresh water changed once or twice a day

Weve been clear of it for about 2 months.

Apparently she had a history of it.

Wolfiefan Wed 29-Jun-16 20:24:16

Our boy cat had cystitis on dry food. If she's on dry then I would switch to wet.

Hislopssloppyseconds Wed 29-Jun-16 20:25:43

Has anything changed at home, builders, new cat on the block etc?

iloveeverykindofcat Wed 29-Jun-16 21:33:37

She's always on wet only, but I'm adding extra water to it. The only thing that's changed lately is the wet weather meaning she's been in more, which I guess could be a trigger, but she does have a bit of history with it sad

iloveeverykindofcat Thu 30-Jun-16 10:36:19

Well, she's still peeing little and often but no bleeding/loss of appetite/loss of sass so we'll hold off on the vet for now and go on with the cystease and water.

crazyspaniellady Thu 30-Jun-16 15:21:07

My cat suffered from frequent UTIs for a bit, we started adding a teaspoon of this to her food (once daily) and it made such a difference. you can get it in pets at home (if there's one near you) and I'm sure you can find it online.

FolderReformedScruncher Thu 30-Jun-16 15:25:13

This is part of my day job. After lots of rain or a fall of snow we will get an influx of cats with cystitis as they are reluctant to go out, hold it and give themselves cystitis. Additional litter trays is partly the answer so they can pee on clean substrate. Agree re wet food being better too. She may need antibiotics.

iloveeverykindofcat Thu 30-Jun-16 15:44:06

Thank you crazyspaniel, I think I'll get some of that!
That's interesting Folder. She does use litter trays but also goes out in the garden so I expect she has been holding it. She seems to be getting over it - pees are getting bigger and further apart, and no blood, so hopefully we can avoid the vet this time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now