Lost our Boykitten.

(10 Posts)
ShutUpLegs Mon 27-Jun-16 20:17:50

Hit by a car late on Saturday night - just happened to be witnessed by our lovely neighbours who dealt with Girlkitten's accident at Easter. It taken til today to trace his body - he'd fled into a garden and been picked up by them on Sunday morning. We leafleted today and they texted tonight to say they had his body.

We are all so sad.

BUT - we have loved having the cats. They made us complete as a family. We have been very unlucky - the street has many cats who have lived unscathed for years. DO we try again - perhaps with an older rescue who may have a bit more street sense? Or is that selfish and unjustifiable?

Fluffycloudland77 Mon 27-Jun-16 20:30:44

I'm so sorry, losing girl kitten was bad enough.

I would go for an adult rescue who isn't interested in the outdoors.

cozietoesie Mon 27-Jun-16 20:31:07

I'm very sorry - and it's neither selfish nor unjustifiable.

DramaAlpaca Mon 27-Jun-16 20:33:50

Oh no, that's so sad flowers

I think you should definitely try again. You've been very unlucky & there's a cat or two out there that needs a home with you.

frostyfingers Mon 27-Jun-16 20:48:10

Oh dear, how very sad. I wouldn't rule out have another/more either.

timtam23 Mon 27-Jun-16 21:14:03

So sorry flowers

I would think it would be worth trying again, maybe an adult rescue who has been stray and is perhaps more streetwise & used to traffic. Very very bad luck to lose both of the kittens to the road.

Allergictoironing Mon 27-Jun-16 21:33:12

You may even want to consider an indoor cat next time? Plenty of rescues have cats that can't go out but are otherwise (mostly) OK e.g. ones with FIV, or have always been indoor cats. And some breeds (e.g. Ragdolls or many orientals) can be quite happy never knowing about the great outdoors.

I made the decision that when I got mine they would be indoor cats, as I'm too fearful of cars, poison, accidents, and that bloody horrible big ginger & white tom that beats all the other cats up. I've seen a few threads on here lately about people losing their beloved kitties to cars, so I'm happy I made that decision.

Toddlerteaplease Mon 27-Jun-16 21:38:05

Try a Persian. They are lovely, very laid back. Mine only go out in the garden and are not overly bothered about it. Quite happy indoors.

cozietoesie Mon 27-Jun-16 21:51:12

My mother decided that Seniorboy was to be an indoor cat after losing half a dozen others and I continued it. (He went outside in about 1996 for two minutes and then, briefly, a couple of years ago when he hadn't a clue what he was doing and was quickly returned by a group of passing Japanese students.)

He's happy not going out though. A bonded Siamese's idea of a good time seems to be sitting gazing at you. smile

ShutUpLegs Wed 29-Jun-16 13:59:18

We have been in touch with the local Cat Rescue who have been lovely. They didn't feel our area was a big risk otherwise they wouldn't have let us have the kittens in the first place. They feel we have been very unlucky but have suggested, like you, that we look to home an older, more experienced cat next time.

I am still weepy. Need a bit of time first, I think.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now