Talk

Advanced search

Second cat?

(6 Posts)
meanex Mon 27-Jun-16 19:12:24

We've got a 2 year old female cat that we've had from a kitten. We've recently moved somewhere where there's a garden and so are thinking about a second cat.

What would go best with a young female? Another female or a male? Cat or kitten? She is spayed if that makes any difference

Fluffycloudland77 Mon 27-Jun-16 19:46:31

How does she react to meeting other cats in her territory? A male might be better.

meanex Mon 27-Jun-16 20:08:10

She's never actually seen another cat as she's been a house cat. She's having a check up and some innoculations next week then we're going to try her with outside. We'd not get cat no 2 until cat no 1 is settled and happy with being outside.

gobbin Wed 29-Jun-16 13:42:31

Agree on a neutered male being more likely to be accepted, but it's no guarantee. All our mixed-family cats have tolerated each other very well but were never bunk-up-together close. My mum's female tolerated another two females at different times but is a bitch to the male!

RubbishMantra Wed 29-Jun-16 13:58:43

Cats are a matriarchal society, so a male kitten would probably be your best bet. You'll have a better idea how she reacts to other cats once she starts going outside.

BarbaraofSeville Wed 29-Jun-16 14:01:13

I would also say male kitten your best bet. I've never had two females live nicely together.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now