Talk

Advanced search

Tom cat - looking poor

(12 Posts)
fuctifino Sun 26-Jun-16 20:03:50

We moved to a farmhouse in October and the previous owner left her tom cat. She did say he'd been neutered but I suspect not as he is a prolific sprayer.
He was a chunky cat but has recently lost weight and his coat is looking dull. This weekend we have tried to tempt him with chicken and tuna but to no avail.
Could he be looking poor because he has been schmoozing the local ladies? If he had been, the closest farm/houses are about half a mile away (and I don't know if they have cats).
I can't take him to the vet until Tuesday but don't want to be laughed out of the surgery!

I am a first time, reluctant cat owner but he is a lovely cat and I don't want to see him poorly.

Fluffycloudland77 Sun 26-Jun-16 20:31:55

They can spray post neuter, it's to mark his patch.

Is he eating?

Wolfiefan Sun 26-Jun-16 20:34:20

Is he vaccinated?

fuctifino Sun 26-Jun-16 21:09:59

Ooh right, I assumed he wasn't neutered as that deterred our dog from marking.
So, he might not be entire then.

Vaccinated? Now there's a question. I have no idea, she didn't leave a card for him, so I guess not. That's something else to add to the list.

I don't know when he last ate, I think it was Thursday. He lives in one of the barns, so it's not like the dog/horse who I know when they eat. He has dry food ad lib and he gets wet food twice a day. Dd (13) has taken on his care, I don't have a great deal to do with him, hence only noticing yesterday he didn't look himself.

Fluffycloudland77 Sun 26-Jun-16 21:13:06

vets then. Hopefully it's nothing serious.

Poor boy having such a careless owner though, I'd never leave my cat behind.

fuctifino Mon 27-Jun-16 05:42:49

She wasn't careless fluffy, she was a downright bitch.
She had 9 cats, she could only take 1 to the caravan she is now living in. She had no shame in telling us she drowned the others. The one we have escaped that fate as he disappeared. He turned back up on the day she moved out and she didn't have time to dispatch him sad

Broken1Girl Mon 27-Jun-16 06:08:26

The utter bitch (his previous owner).
Vet him. They can tell you if he's neutered, check for microchip although I doubt ex-owner bothered etc as well as check his general health. Good for you taking him flowers

Fluffycloudland77 Mon 27-Jun-16 06:39:03

What a bitch. I wish karma existed.

cozietoesie Mon 27-Jun-16 08:15:38

She doesn't sound like the sort to have the lad neutered, I must say. I'd assume nothing and have him down to the vet for a complete health etc check. No-one is going to laugh at you down there, believe me.

cozietoesie Mon 27-Jun-16 09:05:35

PS - how old is he? (Roughly.)

RubbishMantra Mon 27-Jun-16 09:09:36

Those poor, poor cats. What a cunt.

I dunno about Karma, but my father used to drown all the local kittens for a shilling. Healthy man, kept himself very fit, but began to deteriorate not long after retiring. Now he's trapped in a body that doesn't work, and can barely string a sentence together. Oh, and he's terrified of cats. but pretends he just doesn't like them

PolterGoose Mon 27-Jun-16 16:57:37

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now