Talk

Advanced search

Any cat psychologist about: cat behave unusually last night by being really REALLY desperate to go out.

(10 Posts)
FoxesOnSocks Sat 25-Jun-16 08:39:34

He usually stays in at night. But has had a strict curfew in place only for several months between 7 and 6. (Both ish times. Generally close enough though)

He's taken to this new situation ok, in the evening he might mew by his cat flap a bit but it doesn't last long at all. He then just goes off to sleep somewhere (changes location during the night). He's a very laid back and calm cat.

Got woken at 2 last night by DH, he'd be out and had been in around an hour and was concerned about Cat's behaviour.

Cat was dashing all over the house, scratching frantically at his usual scratching spots, jumping on the bed at me, on the window ledges, miaowing loudly at front and back door. Miaowing at dh.

Anyway DH woke me up (Cat is mine, DH isn't a cat person) at that point Cat was at our bedroom windows going at the latch. I got up and Cat jumped ran down stairs, then back up I followed him and he was straight to his cat flap circling.

I was quite hesitant but let him out; his behaviour reminded me of a dog I once lived with when this dog had diarrhoea and was desperate to go out (Cat is a litter box refuser). Watched Cat outside he did his usual recce then went up the wall and and off along all the other garden boundaries at a right speed and not to were he might for toileting.

Anyone care to guess?

PaintedDrivesAndPolishedGrass Sat 25-Jun-16 08:41:29

Has he been neutered?

msrisotto Sat 25-Jun-16 08:41:57

It is pretty common for cats to get a second wind at between 2-4am! So it might not be out of the ordinary.

However, given he immediately went to guard/defend his territory, it sounds like there might be a fox or cats breaching it.

FoxesOnSocks Sat 25-Jun-16 08:46:19

Yes neutered. He's 2.

PeaceOfWildThings Sat 25-Jun-16 08:48:01

Call of the wild?

Worms?

lljkk Sat 25-Jun-16 08:49:23

Spotted (smelled, heard) something outside to go hunt & kill.

FoxesOnSocks Sat 25-Jun-16 08:49:40

He'd often wake me to let him out, jump on the bed an paw pat me. But he was quite frantic.

Lots of foxes, and an unneutered Tom plus a few allowed to roam dogs around here (reason for curfew)

FoxesOnSocks Sat 25-Jun-16 08:51:06

He's upto date with worm tablet.

Ah it properly was something outside. Window was slightly latched open.

PaintedDrivesAndPolishedGrass Sat 25-Jun-16 10:34:42

I'm guessing another cat on his patch. Have you tried asking him😀, mine are quite clever and we have some very interesting conversations.

FoxesOnSocks Sat 25-Jun-16 10:37:59

I'll ask him later.

Not at home yet and this morning he was too busy sleeping and stretched across the width (aka blocking) of the landing at the top of the stairs.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now