Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Cat is ALWAYS Hungry!

(12 Posts)
19lottie82 Fri 24-Jun-16 13:54:43

I adopted a cat in November, from the Cats Protection, who had previously been a stray. Dental records suggest she has recently turned 3.

She goes out during the day, and gets fed 2 pouches of Felix and a small bowl of biscuits throughout the day. She also gets a couple of treats.

However, she is ALWAYS hungry! When we eat our dinner she tries to jump up and steal from our plates. I can't leave her alone in a room if there is food out - last week, I gave her dinner and then as soon as she had finished it, she jumped on to the work surface and tried to get stuck into a pasta bake I had left on the worktop!

I'm wary of feeding her too much as a month after we got her the vet said to watch her weight, she isn't over weight but was a skinny wee thing when we got her and has bulked up due to having a loving home!

She seems happy enough and I use Broadline every month, so I'm pretty sure she doesn't have worms.

Part of me thinks maybe it's due to the fact she used to be a stray and doesn't know where her next meal is coming from. Or is this normal?

Thank you!

RatOnnaStick Fri 24-Jun-16 14:10:56

👍

You

Hehewink

RatOnnaStick Fri 24-Jun-16 14:11:40

Cats are always apparently starving hmm. They're liars too.

19lottie82 Fri 24-Jun-16 14:15:32

RatOnnaStick, yes I thought the diagnosis might be something along those lines! blush

buttermymuffins Fri 24-Jun-16 14:19:33

She might have thyroid problems or diabetes. Does she drink loads too?

19lottie82 Fri 24-Jun-16 14:20:28

This what I have to endure every time I sit down to eat a meal!

19lottie82 Fri 24-Jun-16 14:22:02

Hi Butter.....no I don't think so. She doesn't drink much although there is a bowl of fresh water always avaliable.

nonicknameseemsavailable Fri 24-Jun-16 14:26:04

if she was a stray then she quite probably has known such hunger that now she would eat and eat and eat in case she didn't get any more food for days. I think you will just have to be strict, keep food put away where she can't get at it or be tempted by it and hope that as she learns to trust you and realises that you WILL feed her each day then she will learn she doesn't have to eat constantly.

abbsismyhero Fri 24-Jun-16 14:26:23

i had one like this she moved in from my neighbors house where she wasn't fed often enough she went from being a skinny scrap to a round ball of fur in no time!

my other cat was just greedy

up her biscuits but give her the diet ones the vet suggested that and give more exercise and certain distractions available only at mealtimes

Vinorosso74 Fri 24-Jun-16 17:49:00

Look at that face.....

Goingtobeawesome Fri 24-Jun-16 17:54:01

My girl cat, I also have her probable half brother, is like this. We've had her three years so don't expect a quick realisation that she'll get fed!

Hassled Fri 24-Jun-16 17:55:22

Could be greed, and could be diabetes. Is she also very thirsty?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now