Talk

Advanced search

1 cat or 2?

(12 Posts)
whois Thu 23-Jun-16 18:00:01

What are your thoughts on having 1 cat or 2? And if you think 2 are better, is it best to get litter mates? Or get 1 and then later introduce another?

Looking into getting a kitten but not sure if it would be nicer to have 1 or 2 (for them!). I'm a little unsure becase we had two kittens from the same litter when I was a kid and they were the BEST friends as kittens but hated each other as adults and it stressed them out being together. When 1 died the other became a much happier cat.

But on the other hand I feel like the kitten (and future cat) would be lonely on its own whilst I'm at work.

House and garden isn't very big so there isn't lots of room for 2 cats to keep themselves out of each others way.

FuzzyOwl Thu 23-Jun-16 18:05:04

I have seven and none of them are litter mates. They have their particular friends who they will curl up with, play with and groom. I think cats are like people in the sense some are happy with others and some prefer to be solitary but I would think two from the same litter are more likely to get on and it is a shame your previous two didn't as adults.

TobleroneBoo Thu 23-Jun-16 18:05:10

Get two, litter mates. They will be lovely together and will entertain and you won't have to think about one being all sad and lonely on its own!

whois Thu 23-Jun-16 18:43:40

Yeah I think I would like 2 TobleroneBoo! :-) Just not sure if I am projecting 'it will be lonely' thoughts?

Glad to hear yours all get on FuzzyOwl. Seven is a bit more than I think I could handle, kudos to you! I looked at a place to buy and they had TEN bengal cats! It was a bit crazy viewing. And a big snake in a tank in the kitchen.

Toddlerteaplease Thu 23-Jun-16 21:47:33

I have two. Was told they were inseparable so had to go together. They don't like each other but are completely reliant on each other. They are sisters.

Toddlerteaplease Thu 23-Jun-16 21:49:30

It's lovely having two and I'd worry about them being lonely when I'm at work if they were alone. The second costs little extra once you've bought the stuff for the first one.

NarcyCow Thu 23-Jun-16 21:54:45

We got two. They weren't related and in fact hadn't even met till they got put in a box together to come home, but after a few hours they were happy enough to snuggle up together and to play together. 13 years later they don't choose to sleep together very often but they happily share food and a litter box and do have snuggles together sometimes, plus when one was away at the vet's, the other was noticeably uneasy.

Wolfiefan Thu 23-Jun-16 21:57:59

Two. As kittens they tire each other out! Our first cats were mum and son. That was also a nice mix.
The girls. (Saw recently sisters less likely to fall out than brothers. Hormones. But my girls aren't as close now as they were when this was taken.)

AngieBolen Thu 23-Jun-16 22:04:50

I got two eight week old kittens from a rescue I'm not convinced they were actually 8 weeks They did play fight as kittens, and I suppose they may have kept each other company when young (I went back to work wen they were about 14 weeks) but they never really liked each other.

Boy cat did show concern for girl cat twice, when she was old and blind - and hedid lose a bit of weight when she died, but I'm not convinced their lives were greatly improved by each other. but having two cats was no more work than having one, and was double the joy.

It's not like kids, where two is definitely twice the work.

whois Fri 24-Jun-16 21:59:39

Thanks for sharing everyone. Leaning towards two :-)

Sounds like my old cats hating each other is a rare thing which is reassuring.

gininteacupsandleavesonthelawn Mon 27-Jun-16 14:01:27

We've just got these 2 gorgeous brothers 💙

whois Mon 27-Jun-16 17:26:17

gininteacupsandleavesonthelawn super cute! The go well with the grey sofa too ;-)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now