Anyone have any experience of FIV?

(5 Posts)
bigtapdancingpimp Fri 17-Jun-16 23:26:04

My poor boycat was diagnosed two years ago but suspect he contracted it three years ago from a feral cat that attacked him.

He's had problems with his teeth and gums and is prone to gingivitis; my regular vet has been prescribing him Corotrope 5mg for the past year to prevent inflammation. Yesterday I went to a different vet to buy more tablets - he was horrified when I told him the dose I was giving my cat and said he would develop Cushing's Disease and that I'm killing him.

He recommended having all his teeth removed which would make him ultimately more comfortable and happy. I told the new vet I can't afford the surgery for my cat and he offered to do it for free so I'm guessing this is this is a big problem.

I'm not in the UK btw and FIV is quite rife here. Shall I get all his teeth removed?

barkingfly Sat 18-Jun-16 05:22:46

no. perhaps steroid injections would work better. I had a dear kitten with FIV and while she did not have a long life, she had a good life.

thecatneuterer Sat 18-Jun-16 09:55:15

Yes get all his teeth removed. I have had lots of cats with gingivitis, some with FIV, some without. Getting rid of all the teeth has resolved the problem in I would say 95 per cent of cases.

I have also had/currently have a lot of cats with FIV. It doesn't generally seem to cause many problems and most go on to live a long and healthy life and end up dying of old age or something totally unrelated to the FIV.

Fluffycloudland77 Sat 18-Jun-16 10:07:40

I would go for extraction but pay a little back every month to the vet. He's obviously a very kind man who wants the best for your cat.

I'm guessing your country of residence isn't hot on neutering and that's how fiv is spreading so well.

bigtapdancingpimp Sat 18-Jun-16 17:47:41

Thank you for your replies.

I'll take my boy to the vet next week for the consultation and work out a payment plan for his treatment. It just seems so extreme but I have to think of his long term health and comfort.

Fluffy; where I live feral cats are a big problem (not a generally animal-friendly country) but the government and local charities are working well together to educate and provide a neutering/spaying scheme. There are laws in place re animal cruelty and welfare but there's still a long way to go.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now