Outdoor earth box/litter tray

(7 Posts)
RiverTam Wed 15-Jun-16 10:02:22

Has anyone got any tips on how to go about making one of these? Our two are mainly outdoor, semi-feral cats who, to be fair, crap all over our garden, not the neighbours. But I'm getting fed up of scraping cat shit off the netting over my new planters so I really want to get them some kid. Of outdoor litter tray - but I have no real idea how to go about it!

Can I simply fill a litter tray with soil and that's that? Is one kind of soil better than others? I thought of buying a covered litter tray (or two, I suppose) but I'm a bit worried about next door's bully cat sitting on top of it and effectively stopping them from using it?

I would really appreciate any tips anyone has! Thank you!

WhoKnowsWhereTheTimeG0es Wed 15-Jun-16 10:09:05

We did ours by accident, having left a large planter half full of compost when the plant died. I moved it to a quiet corner, they use it regularly, I scoop regularly and add more compost occasionally. However they still tend to use the beds when there is bare soil but from about this time of year till everything dies back in winter they use the pot instead.

As for neighbouring cats, we do have territory issues with some and I may well be scooping theirs too but they aren't hogging the cat pot.

A plant pot is better than a litter tray as it has drainage and doesn't get waterlogged.

WhoKnowsWhereTheTimeG0es Wed 15-Jun-16 10:10:57

And to protect my other planters, I take cuttings off our very large rosemary bush and spread them over the bare soil. I had to fo the same to a house plant when I caught one of my cats "watering" it.

RiverTam Wed 15-Jun-16 10:11:34

That's a good idea, I had a feeling a litter tray wouldn't really work. Thanks!

RiverTam Wed 15-Jun-16 10:12:23

I've just cut back a very rambling rose and put the spiky branches over my planters so fingers crossed that'll help.

Toddlerteaplease Wed 15-Jun-16 20:47:40

Just create a beautiful flower bed and they will take to it I no time.

Oldraver Sun 19-Jun-16 01:06:13

LMAO @ beautiful flower bed.

Our cat has started to go in one particular place and I have encouraged it but making the soil very fine..sifted out all the stones etc.

He does tend the think any area I had turned over is for him and I have had to shoo him off a couple of times, but he does seem to like his area...for now

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now