Both cats missing at the same time - theories?

(12 Posts)
Phalarope Tue 14-Jun-16 17:27:06

We have two cats, brother and sister, about 5 years old. They are normally in and out much of the day, and we keep them in at night. Our garden backs onto other gardens, and that seems to be where they mostly roam. They get on well but generally mooch about separately during the day.

I last saw them around 3pm yesterday, when the boy was sitting in the woodstore at the end of the garden sheltering from the rain, and the girl was zooming around chasing imaginary things. Since then - not a sign. They would normally be wrapping round our legs demanding dinner and breakfast.

I've gone round the block calling a few times and nothing. DP thinks they've been nicked, but who would want two damp bogstandard moggies? I think they've got shut in somewhere but it seems odd that both have gone AWOL together. Or run over together.

They've occasionally gone missing overnight, but never for this long, never together, and I'm feeling anxious. Anyone else had simultaneous missing cats?

LadyDeadpool Tue 14-Jun-16 17:35:17

Kitty espionage mission. Boy cat has been catnapped and its up to girl cat to save her brother and the world.

Phalarope Tue 14-Jun-16 19:30:07

She lacks the feline stealth, really - she'd probably meow and headbutt the kidnappers into submission.

3 meals missed now. Am even missing the whining for food.

RubbishMantra Tue 14-Jun-16 21:01:26

Worse case scenario, maybe one is hurt, and the other is sticking close to them.

When it gets dark, go out with a bright torch, their eyes will reflect it. Bring treats and rattle them. And put up some missing cat posters, and use social media (facebook etc.) to spread the word they're missing.

Might have accidentally been shut into someone's house/cellar/shed etc.

Fingers crossed for you.

LadyDeadpool Wed 15-Jun-16 17:37:37

Any news Phalarope? Hoping they're home now especially if your weather is as awful as ours.

If not I remember reading a tip about emptying your hoover out in the garden so they can trace the smell back home if they've gotten lost wandering.

Phalarope Wed 15-Jun-16 19:02:54

After much printing of flyers and posters and general panic, they strolled back in together at 1.15am, looking completely unbothered. They must have been shut in somewhere, I think, to disappear and reappear at the same time. They were very hungry when they got back. Idiot cats. Thank you for all the advice - will remember it next time they go AWOL.

RubbishMantra Wed 15-Jun-16 19:18:49

Oh, that's a relief.

Darn cats!

TroysMammy Wed 15-Jun-16 23:00:15

Glad they are back. Thanks for the update.

MyCatIsTryingToKillMe Thu 16-Jun-16 09:39:23

Glad the cats are back, that must have been very worrying for you. They were probably locked in somewhere as you suggest, especially if they are hungry.

timtam23 Thu 16-Jun-16 22:29:40

Glad they are back!

cozietoesie Thu 16-Jun-16 22:31:21

smile

BettyDraper1 Thu 16-Jun-16 22:34:40

Mine do this at this time of year. They catch baby rabbits together, the little bastards.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now