Talk

Advanced search

Cat keeps bringing home bats, LIVE BATS!

(7 Posts)
NapoleonsNose Sun 12-Jun-16 10:05:43

I have no idea how she is catching them. They fly like the clappers and I'm sure she's not fishing them out of the sky. We live on a modern estate but I guess they must be roosting somewhere and she is going and catching them before they fly out in the evening. I know they are pretty harmless but it is a bit disconcerting, and frightening for them, when they are flying round the living room. DH managed to let last night's one out by turning the lights off and opening the back door. But last time she must have set it free and it must have roosted somewhere in the living room, coming out when dusk fell. How the hell do I stop her catching them?

cozietoesie Sun 12-Jun-16 10:09:23

I've never known a cat catch a bat on the wing. They go so very fast - and in my experience, at way more than cat-catching height.

Have you not got any potential bat places nearby-ish?

AnchorDownDeepBreath Sun 12-Jun-16 10:13:16

She'll be grabbing them whilst they are sleeping. I had a cat that did this. I followed him for four nights to see how he was grabbing them out of the sky but he'd found a little stone thing near our house that they were roosting in.

NapoleonsNose Sun 12-Jun-16 10:15:33

I don't think so, but then I only have visions of bats living in old churches and the attics of stately homes, none of which are near me! They are definitely not in our roof. There is a modern school over the road but I doubt they are in there. I really don't know where they are coming from and how she is getting them. I think we may have to lock the catflap from around 8pm until we go to bed to stop her.

cozietoesie Sun 12-Jun-16 10:25:37

I've found that they come out at dusk, mainly.

Do you have any bat societies nearby?

FadedRed Sun 12-Jun-16 10:26:04

Look for your local Bat society and ask for their advice.
A large 'shrimping net' on a pole ( seaside holiday type thing) might be a good idea if you need to remove one from your house, although what you did to get it put was clever and effective.
Avoid any physical contact with bats. Some carry the Lyssa virus which is a type of rabies and bat bites are a serious medical emergency, requiring anti rabies treatment. Sorry to scare you but important you know.

prokupatuskrakedatus Sun 12-Jun-16 21:10:27

Felix did this. His hunting grounds were the rooftops of a large area of conntected buildings. He brought me trash wrestled from the crows and magpies and he brought me bats.
Bats over here are a protected species. Felix was killing off the population and those bats - as FadedRed said - carry their own special strain of rabies. So I got quite good at safe bat removal and rescue using a bright light, a cardboard box and a flat piece of cardboard on a stick. Felix got a set of special and costly vaccines.
Felix sadly vanished a couple of years ago but the bat population is back to normal.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now