Talk

Advanced search

Swollen Paw

(12 Posts)
plaws101 Sat 11-Jun-16 19:42:30

We think our kitten may have been stung by a bee/wasp, or bitten, or have something stuck in her paw (photo attached) She is walking normally so I guess it can't hurt that badly?

Has anyone experienced anything similar? If you have how long did it take to clear up? Did you take your cat to the vet? Thanks in advance

Ellie06 Sat 11-Jun-16 19:55:00

This happened to my cat several year ago, turns out he had a cut that had got really badly infected, we had to take him to the vets to get antibiotics to get rid of it.

If it is a reaction to a sting it is very severe, so I'd prob still take him to the vets to be sure he is ok.

gamerchick Sat 11-Jun-16 19:58:38

Mine did, it swelled up before my eyes. She buggered off to bed while I was trying to sort out taking her to the vets because it was the weekend and the husband had taken the car and my bank card to work. a little while later she got up, ripped this scab off her leg and it went down again.

Weirdest thing I've ever seen.

plaws101 Sat 11-Jun-16 20:10:18

Thank you. I will take her to the vet on Monday if it doesn't improve

RubbishMantra Sat 11-Jun-16 20:24:06

Pets at Home have an in-house vet (Vets4Pets), if you feel it's urgent, they are open Saturday and Sunday. It could be a cut or an insect sting. She's only a kitten, and these things can exacerbate quickly.

Gamer, did pus come out after she removed the scab?

gamerchick Sat 11-Jun-16 20:57:44

No it came off dried, shriveled up and the wound I didn't know she had healed and clean. No bother at all after that, I've never seen anything like it.

Fluffycloudland77 Sat 11-Jun-16 20:58:17

I'd go to pets at home vets on a Sunday. It's usually full of other pets who have decided to get ill suddenly.

They walk normally to hide weakness. Weak animals get eaten first.

Ours came in one night in obvious pain and unable to weightbear on both back legs.

Not only did he act normally in the vets he stood up on his back legs to sniff the table top. Got home and he was moaning and had to be carried up/down stairs.

Luckily she still gave him a painkiller shot & a supply of pain relief.

MadauntofA Sat 11-Jun-16 22:11:40

Ours turned up one day with a comedy double the size paw. Went down by itself after a few hrs, and he seemed none the wiser. He was going through a munching bee stage, so we assumed it was that

FurryLittleTwerp Sat 11-Jun-16 23:42:04

Agree walking normally isn't necessarily a reassurance - I had an old stray with an ingrown & infected claw - he was fully weight-bearing.

Does it feel hotter than the other paws? Is her appetite as usual?

ElegantDream Sat 11-Jun-16 23:56:06

I'm afraid I would be straight to out of hours - at the very least asking their advice over the phone. Cats hide pain really well.

PaintedDrivesAndPolishedGrass Sun 12-Jun-16 09:33:37

It looks exactly like my little girls bee/wasp sting. She is a terror when it comes to flying insects. It went down by itself.

plaws101 Sun 12-Jun-16 11:37:58

Thanks everyone - her paw is pretty much back to normal now smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now