Cat Litter Help please..

(10 Posts)
Notmydolly Tue 07-Jun-16 14:24:58

We have 3 new kittens, all going well apart from the litter issue. They are litter trained - but I've only got one litter tray and I've already used a whole bag of cat litter in 5 days!! Is this normal? I've had to clean the whole thing twice today - due to the number of pooh's in there!! Do I need better cat litter (bought the cheapest) or another tray?

cozietoesie Tue 07-Jun-16 15:10:09

You absolutely need another tray or two. There's a view that you should have one per cat plus one - that has to be within reason and having regard to circumstances a bit, I reckon, but 1 for three cats isn't enough. (They'll be growing fast even though they're kits at the moment.)

What litter are you using right now?

lavenderdoilly Tue 07-Jun-16 15:13:28

You need more trays. And non clumping litter for kittens because they eat the stuff and it will clump in their stomachs. I have one (now 1) who gets two thirds of a bag a week - all poo cleared out as soon as I see it and certainly daily.

Notmydolly Tue 07-Jun-16 15:42:50

Thanks! I had thought another tray would be the way to go. I've been using the cheap litter from lidl...does anyone know a better one?

lavenderdoilly Tue 07-Jun-16 16:14:26

Whatever litter works for you in terms of smell, clump issues, eco issues.and cost.
I use Sainsbury's odour control non clumping because our overlord cat will occasionally nibble on it . Can't say it controls all smells. Used to use crystals litter with now deceased old lady. That was OK for smells too.
We don't use a hooded tray because I foolishly hoovered one day while overlord was in one and it freaked her out. Need to reintroduce it.
What's the gender mix of your lot? Only ask because I think more than one girl can result in Queen Bee issues (did for us) which means they need separate toilettes for their doingsgringrin.
The general rule is supposed to be a tray per cat plus one extra. You can usually fudge it a bit but bear it in mind.

Notmydolly Tue 07-Jun-16 16:18:10

we have two boys and girl. Off to buy more litter trays.....

lavenderdoilly Tue 07-Jun-16 16:30:27

She'll have fun bossing them. Photos always welcome on this topic btw.

LilySnape Tue 07-Jun-16 16:34:46

Use a hooded litter tray there bigger and offer more privacy to encourage good habits and use asda smartprice wood pellet litter or B&M has massive sacks of it for £5 i have two cats and one tray i just scoop the poop and turn over the remaining litter it lasts them a week between changes as the wood is highly absorbent and low odour smile when it starts to resemble wet sand its time to change it

Notmydolly Tue 07-Jun-16 20:31:34

I've bought a 2nd litter tray and a different brand of litter....non clumping! Do I need to line the litter tray with newspaper? My mum used to do it but I'm not sure if that's correct.

LilySnape Tue 07-Jun-16 23:41:42

No dont line it theyll just shred it tip the litter into a bin bag then straight into the outside bin and wipe the tray out if needed one thing i learned from my 2 kittens is dont wash the tray in the first few months they need the smell to know where the tray is and theyll know their scents on it to use it my 2 are 10 months old now and ive just started using a capful of flash and hot water to wash it out which there fine with as they know where to find the tray and use it smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now