Just taken a tick off my cat

(6 Posts)
Silvercatowner Fri 03-Jun-16 19:11:26

I've just pulled a tick off Silvercat's brother's neck (did it properly as per a Youtube video). I got the whole thing (now squidged on the patio) and the cat is fine, but I am slightly freaked out at the mention of ticks carrying disease (I've never experienced a tick before). Does anyone have any experience of this? Silvercat's brother is an elderly cat (17) and quite frail. Does he need to see a vet??
Thanks

Feeches Fri 03-Jun-16 19:28:48

My cat came home with a tick in his neck a few years ago. I had no experience so took him to the local vet where the nurse removed it for me. She didn't seem overly concerned.

He had quite a sore wound for a few days but it cleared up eventually and he's fine. I would keep a close eye on the wound. Look for any reddening around the initial bite and prevent him licking it if possible.

Phone your local vet for more professional advice but he should be fine.

Silvercatowner Fri 03-Jun-16 19:35:20

Thanks. I'll keep an eye on him. He was oblivious.

Lonecatwithkitten Fri 03-Jun-16 20:20:34

If he has already had one tick you may want to consider something for tick control as the forecast is for a really bad year this year.
Currently there are three products that kill ticks Frontline and Broadline spot on that need to be applied monthly and Seresto collar that lasts 8months. There is a new tick and flea product coming in July that will be a spot on that lasts three months.

Silvercatowner Fri 03-Jun-16 20:55:06

Thanks Lonecat, I will do that.

lljkk Fri 03-Jun-16 21:11:52

like a baptism, isn't it. I have lost track of how many ticks we've taken off the cats. (Yuck)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now