About to adopt a stray feral kitten and need advice!

(18 Posts)
Celen Fri 03-Jun-16 18:46:30

I'm about to adopt a stray feral kitten (at least we think they're feral). A friend found a cat had given birth in her shed to 3 kits but the mummy cat sadly got run over a little while ago.

I've got two rescue cats already, one boy and one girl. The boy was semi-feral when I got him but he's been with us a few years now and while still timid, he does let us stroke him and he's much more confident around us.

My questions:-
How do I introduce the cats to the kitten?
I've heard a male kitten will probably be more easily accepted than a female, is this true?
Where should I put lil kitten overnight when we get him?
As the cats already roam around the house freely, where should I put lil kitten during the day? Should he be near us humans or will our cats get jealous by that?
And another advice would be hugely appreciated! smile

Thank you flowers

Fluffycloudland77 Fri 03-Jun-16 19:13:41

I think you keep them seperate for a few days but the cats will know he's there and you can open the door for them to peer at each other.

I'd go and spend lots of time with him. You won't be able to do much housework so everyone else will have to pitch in while you settle him in. It's a sacrifice you must make. They should bring you regular hot drinks with chocolate biscuits to keep your energy up.

Pop him on the bed at night.

cozietoesie Fri 03-Jun-16 19:19:14

How old will the kitten be on arrival?

Celen Fri 03-Jun-16 20:28:15

8 wks cozie. He's been get checked today, had worming and flea treatment too.

Celen Fri 03-Jun-16 20:28:44

He was all trembly and a bit hissy when I first picked him up but he soon settled into my arms and even purred a bit 😍

Redbindippers101 Fri 03-Jun-16 20:30:47

Nice looking cat, is there any Bengal in there?

Fluffycloudland77 Fri 03-Jun-16 20:31:08

Ooh he's gorgeous! 8 weeks is young enough to be tamed.

Celen Fri 03-Jun-16 20:34:27

Not sure Red, mum was a tortie.

cozietoesie Fri 03-Jun-16 20:36:12

There could have been kittens with different fathers all then. (Torties I have known.)

Celen Fri 03-Jun-16 20:37:12

His two sisters were black and white (one long hair).

cozietoesie Fri 03-Jun-16 20:41:41

You just can't tell. Never known a tortie (unspayed) who wasn't a hussy.

He's a great wee chap. smile

Fluffycloudland77 Fri 03-Jun-16 22:37:15

He's got an old soul I reckon.

cozietoesie Fri 03-Jun-16 23:04:07

You may be right, Fluffy. That's certainly a very ......considering......gaze in the photo. smile

Celen Sat 04-Jun-16 07:14:50

Does anyone know the approximate cost of initial injections, neutering and micro-chipping please?

Waitingfordolly Sat 04-Jun-16 07:26:15

We took in a stray kitten (a boy) and got a voucher from the cats protection league for neutering. I think we paid just over £100 for everything before the voucher was taken off. We introduced him slowly to our existing cat, but they still don't get on, they just tolerate each other. He's very affectionate though.

WellErrr Sat 04-Jun-16 07:50:05

We had a pregnant stray move in with us - we took her to Cats Protection and they did vaccs for her and kittens, neutered her and gave us neutering vouchers for the kittens. We did contribute but we didn't have to IIRC.

She is a pure Bengal and the kittens are just like her, but no chip and no response as to widespread advertising. She was quite young and we and the vet think she had strayed from a kitten farming situation.

I don't know anything about introducing cats, as we just had one old one who basically ignored the new family in the shed for the first few weeks, but I do know that cats protection were very helpful

Fluffycloudland77 Sat 04-Jun-16 08:30:14

It was £100 or so. Chipping is essential but some vets do it slightly cheaper if you do it at the same time as neutering.

orangeyellowgreen Sat 04-Jun-16 21:36:09

Borrow a dog crate and put him in there with his bed and litter tray when you're not around. This will keep him safe and let your other cats get used to him. If he's feral he may hide away, he needs to be where he can see family and other cats and get used to you all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now