Talk

Advanced search

Good Girl Catnip Drops disaster

(17 Posts)
chemenger Fri 03-Jun-16 09:12:27

Little boy cat has a heart condition (we are in the seventh month after he was given six months to live and he is doing well). He takes aspirin twice a week and obviously I want to do this in the least stressful way possible - pilling him is very, very stressful, even when vets do it. So I have been squashing his pill up in Goodgirl Catnip drops - the only treat he will eat (he doesn't like Webexx sticks, cheese, ham, cream, yogurt, chicken or any other treat I have tried him with). The disaster is that they have changed the recipe and now he doesn't like the new catnip drops either. I offered him some of the new ones yesterday and he just looked at me with a sad little face and turned away sad.

Is there any chance that anyone has old catnip drops (in the red tube or bag) that I could buy? It is a life or death situation, possibly literally.

TCmytreasure Fri 03-Jun-16 09:16:49

I have just searched them on eBay & some came up in the red bag.

chemenger Fri 03-Jun-16 09:17:15

Here he is after a big night hunting.

Wolfiefan Fri 03-Jun-16 09:20:09

Can you contact the manufacturer? They might be able to point you to some?
Can you get liquid aspirin?

chemenger Fri 03-Jun-16 09:26:41

I bought some from Amazon which were meant to be red, but turned out to be new (white) packaging.

PinkSparklyPussyCat Fri 03-Jun-16 09:37:19

My cat hates all treats so when we had to give him medication the vet told us to try Hills AD food. It's like a pate and is quite rich but he loved it and licked the bowl clean.

cozietoesie Fri 03-Jun-16 09:52:04

I'd go for eBay but ASQ the seller first to check that they're 'red bag'. (The seller might have a standing listing and not have thought to change the picture if they thought it was just a new and updated wrapper.)

There seem to be loads there anyway.

chemenger Fri 03-Jun-16 10:45:53

I have ordered the Ebay ones (thanks TC) in a red tub, it was apparently the last one available, so hopefully old stock! I will get in touch with the manufacturer as well. Liquid aspirin is a good idea, maybe I could formulate my own with dispersible tablets (I do have access to chemistry labs so I can do this with some precision if necessary). I'm going to try spraying the new drops with extra catnip as well since it seems to be that they don't smell right. My life seems to revolve round medicating awkward cats at the moment, both of them are clinging on by a thread.

massivearse Fri 03-Jun-16 10:48:37

I've had success prodding half a pill into a cooked vacpacked mackrel fillet. The strong flavour kinda masks the Asprin as well. Good luck.

cozietoesie Fri 03-Jun-16 10:54:43

If you've got a red tub, and can now ( hopefully) relax a little, maybe you could contact the other eBay sellers to check - more at your leisure? 'Old stock' may be something that some of them have and some of these pet items have such ferociously long BBEs that it likely won't matter much.

chemenger Fri 03-Jun-16 16:02:30

I don't have the red tub yet and I haven't had time to contact the seller to check, but fingers crossed. I will experiment with adding catnip to the inferior new drops, and start on another survey of treats (I have bought some soupy stuff which I think was recommended on here as being the type of cat crack I am looking for smile, which might work for both cats). I have already spent a small fortune on Pill Pockets which my last cat would have your hand off for only to find little boy reject them. Now I'm off to the vet to pick up the old cat's dementia prescription. Luckily that's a tasty liquid!

chemenger Fri 03-Jun-16 16:04:31

Pink, I didn't notice your suggestion before, I'll give that a try too.

chemenger Sat 04-Jun-16 10:00:47

Update: if he wasn't ill I would be strangling him! Last night was pill night. Dh says "I can't believe there can be any difference in the old and new treats, you just didn't offer them to him properly". Dds and I describe his sad little face when he came running for his treat only to find they were wrong and walked away. DH offers the new drops with the hidden pill.....and the little bastard boy gobbled them up. Is part of a cat's job description "drive your mummy mad"?

Fluffycloudland77 Sat 04-Jun-16 10:10:13

Yes. Unfortunately.

Dh can medicate him, seeing as he's so good at it grin

cozietoesie Sat 04-Jun-16 10:11:18

grin

RoosterCogburn Sat 04-Jun-16 17:14:41

grin I love your description of his sad little face!

At least he has taken the medication...and it has to be DHs job to administer it from now on

Mouseinahole Sat 04-Jun-16 17:37:58

Have you tried Thrive dried shrimp treats, my cats go mad for them?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now