Talk

Advanced search

Cat Flu Advice

(10 Posts)
Sal4533 Mon 30-May-16 19:34:12

Hi, can anyone offer advice on possible cat flu in 8 week kitten? Got my second British Blue on Friday & noticed a watery looking eye. On Sat it was worse, so took him to vets and he has eye drops. He has now started sneezing. No other symptoms, very lively & inquisitive- not scared of the other cat or massive Labrador! Eating very well & drinking water. Is it cat flu or just a case of conjunctivitis? If is cat flu will he be ok, being so young?Not happy with breeder but that's another thread!! Any experiences would help.

KittensandKnitting Mon 30-May-16 19:41:34

What did the vet say? I would have him back there tomorrow.

If he's eating, running around etc it doesn't sound like cat-flu to me.

We had a kitten with cat flu and it took my mum feeding him liquidised chicken and giving him water all via a syringe and pretty much holding him close to her for about 24-36 hours, he survived went on to live until the grand old age of 18 but when he had the cat flu he was very very unwell.

Hope the little fella is ok, I have 2 cream lumps and 1 blue and little bit of cream kitten smile BSH are the loveliest cats in my opinion smile hope he is well soon

Sal4533 Mon 30-May-16 20:34:46

Thanks! Vet said ( on Sat) that he didn't think it was Cat flu as he was lively with appetite. We are back at vets on Friday to make sure eyes have cleared up. I think as long as he is eating and exploring I will wait until Friday, if he gets gets worse I will bring appointment forward.

Foxyspook Mon 30-May-16 20:42:00

My kitten had had all vaccinations and then developed conjunctivitis and snuffly nose and sneezing. He was still eating and energetic. Took him to the vet who thought it was another virus. He didn't get temperature but was a bit lethargic for 2 weeks. It has now cleared up.

Have you spoken to breeder about this? Found out if any others in the litter are ill?

KittensandKnitting Mon 30-May-16 23:04:18

Sounds like he will be back to his normal self in no time smile

Lonecatwithkitten Tue 31-May-16 08:32:20

In a pedigree cat with sneezing and runny eyes I would be suspicious of chamlydia. Not as nasty as flu, but they can become chronically infected.

EnjoyTheSimpleThingsInLife Tue 31-May-16 11:35:48

Hopefully it isn't cat flu, but if he gets any worse please take him straight back to the vets.

I hope he is better soon smile

Sal4533 Wed 01-Jun-16 16:18:23

Lonecatwithkitten - I think the same. His symptoms are more chlamydia than flu. His eye is horrendous but no other 'flu' other than sneezing.

RubbishMantra Wed 01-Jun-16 16:27:01

I'd be very suspicious of a pedigree breeder who let their kittens go before 13 weeks, after they'd had both sets of jabs.

Vets administer the first jabs at 9 weeks.

Did he come with any GCCF papers? Did you meet the kitten's parents?

(Sorry for all the questions!)

KittensandKnitting Fri 03-Jun-16 09:24:39

Good point mantra I missed the part about him being 8 weeks old.

None of mine have arrived before 13 weeks, kittens often haven't even fully weened until 9 weeks old, all of them have had all of their jabs before arriving.

How is the little fella OP

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now