Are two cats better than one?

(11 Posts)
SucculentSoul Mon 30-May-16 10:05:04

We got a kitten 2 weeks ago called Dave and he is lovely. So friendly but extremely clingy. He is 4.5months old. He sleeps on my stomach/head/chest every night. He follows me everywhere although prefers to be on my shoulder when I am walking around and will run up me to get there. If I don't give him attention when he wants it he will start digging his claws into me until I do. He is never really a foot away from me if he can help it. I can't even go to the bathroom without him crying to get into me.
The thing I am worried about is when we want to go out for the day how he will handle being left alone. The thought of him wandering around the house all day calling for me makes me sad. Would another cat help with this or will I just end up with two cats sleeping in my head? If another cat would help when would you get one? While he is still young or wait a while? Or maybe this clingyness is just a kitten thing that he will grow out of?

katemiddletonsnudeheels Mon 30-May-16 10:07:14

Dave grin

I think it's nice for them to have company but to be honest some cats do prefer people to other cats. Mine are brothers but still fight hmm

AnotherEmma Mon 30-May-16 10:08:40

Yes but it's best to get them together as a pair, eg kittens from the same litter. Since you already have him, it might be best to keep him as an only cat. He should grow out of the clingy thing. Where was he before you got him?

Micah Mon 30-May-16 10:10:17

No.

They are usually fine as kittens, but as adults get territorial, and mark their territory-your house.

Read the shitten kitten thread.

Unless you have a very big house or garden, live rurally, or there are no local cats so they can have a big outdoor territory, stick with one.

MrsLeighHalfpenny Mon 30-May-16 10:13:11

I would start leaving him for short periods, and gradually build up to all day/overnight. Make sure he is safe, and has plenty of toys to stimulate him and stop him getting bored.
Once he's old enough to go out he'll probably lose lots of the clingyness.

PolterGoose Mon 30-May-16 10:13:53

He sounds lovely and happy, I wouldn't rock the boat by getting another. Cats are almost always happiest as solitary cats and will more than likely sleep all day when you're out.

SucculentSoul Mon 30-May-16 10:19:29

Before we brought him home he was with his sister. It's sounds like a resounding jo then! I'm glad he might grow out it. His following me around doesn't bother me(although he has ruined numerous pairs of my tights since we got him by charging up my legs!). I just worry about leaving him alone blush I have left him for a few hours and when I got back he was so desperate for cuddles I felt so guilty about leaving him!
He doesn't seem to care about anyone else in the house it's just me he has to be on top of at all times confused

SucculentSoul Mon 30-May-16 10:20:22

Resounding no even!

winkywinkola Mon 30-May-16 10:20:36

I think pairs of cats are good. We always got more than one. They got on well. Perhaps we were just lucky.

abbsismyhero Mon 30-May-16 10:23:06

i ended up with three it depends on the cat i bought dcat1 in October and he fretted for his brothers/sisters so much i bought dcat2 February they were fine together we moved house and they moved dcat3 in we had lots of neighboring cats but not many would venture in the garden for extended periods of time

Toddlerteaplease Mon 30-May-16 10:25:02

My two are sisters and don't particularly like each other but would be lost on their own. They follow each other around. And don't cope well with seperation. Having two is great!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now