Do I take him to the vets for a cut?

(27 Posts)
MakingJudySmile Sun 29-May-16 11:36:35

Problem a stupid question; he probably should but travelling to vets upsets him but I feel panicky so need voices of reason.

I just found my beautiful ginger sunning himself on his side on the trampoline.

I noticed he has a cut on his flank. Fur's missing and there's a patch of exposed skin (5p sized at a guess)

It looks clean, he's not limping but he's cautious of me - batted my hand away from him (his head that is)

Trying to get a photo but he's walking off from me (and everyone).

I've him inside now and the vets are open today.

Aphie Sun 29-May-16 11:53:05

I'd take him personally, they might give antibiotics to prevent an infection. My boy shouts like you wouldn't believe about vet trips but it's for their benefit

cozietoesie Sun 29-May-16 13:08:14

I would take him. smile

cozietoesie Sun 29-May-16 13:10:36

PS - I'd get the vet to give him a check all over as well. You've seen one wound but have you been able to check for others that might be hidden by fur?

Toddlerteaplease Sun 29-May-16 13:12:45

I took my girl when I accidentally cut her, trying to get rid off a knot. Cost me £200 for stiches. Even though there was no bleeding and it was tiny. She was fine and completely not bothered. I was not!

MakingJudySmile Sun 29-May-16 13:34:00

He's a bit less fussed by me looking at him now. It's bigger than I thought as you can see.

I'll call the vets now.

DoodleCat Sun 29-May-16 13:35:36

Yes go to the vet. We're off to ours soon with a swollen eye..

cozietoesie Sun 29-May-16 13:41:05

Good luck both.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Sun 29-May-16 13:42:59

Oh goodness, yes see the vet! Hope he's OK.

MakingJudySmile Sun 29-May-16 13:45:40

Have an appointment in an hour.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Sun 29-May-16 13:47:57

Good luck x

Wordsaremything Sun 29-May-16 16:13:49

How is he? That looked quite nasty to me sad

MakingJudySmile Sun 29-May-16 16:33:22

He's OK. Bite mark probably - a fox (there's lots around here). Vet thought it might have been a pellet at first but couldn't feel one.

He's had anti bs and pain relief and I've anti inflammatories for him. I'm to try keep him in for the next few days - he's a litter box refuser though so it's going to be difficult (any tips welcome currently got it set up with shredded newspaper as that is what he has in the chattery when he's there.

After struggling to get him into the carry case and all the yowling on the way to the vets he willingly got straight in and was silent on the way home!!

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Sun 29-May-16 17:26:09

Awww poor thing! Hope he heals quickly.

getyourfingeroutyournose Sun 29-May-16 17:29:31

Poor baby, hope he is okay. Doesn't look good. We had a similar injury on our cat from a fight with another big tom cat. Our cat was neutered but the huge unneutered tomcat still took offence to his presence.

RubbishMantra Sun 29-May-16 17:35:25

Wishing a speedy recovery for JudyCat. If in doubt, I always vet my cats.

Little Monsieur yells his head off on the way to the vets, but once he's there, he actually enjoys it - the attention, and they all adore him there. He's an unusual little beastie.

Lonecatwithkitten Sun 29-May-16 19:43:14

Litter tray - try earth in the litter tray very good for refusers as it is their toilet of choice.

MakingJudySmile Sun 29-May-16 20:33:36

Thanks Lonecatwithkitten. I'll give it a go.

Fluffycloudland77 Sun 29-May-16 21:29:18

I get the silent treatment on the way back too.

At least it's cleaned up now. Poor thing.

cozietoesie Sun 29-May-16 21:46:49

There's nothing to yell about on the way back, Fluffy. You've 'given in'. grin

Fluffycloudland77 Sun 29-May-16 21:49:47

Yes but no ones stuck a thermometer up my bottom.

cozietoesie Mon 30-May-16 11:46:45

How is he doing today? smile

MakingJudySmile Wed 01-Jun-16 22:18:17

Great. It's healing well and he's taking his anti-inflammitory.

I had to let him out in the end as he just wouldn't use the litter tray - didn't need a UTI too.

MakingJudySmile Sat 04-Jun-16 15:15:01

Well you can tell I'm not a vet. My healing well was because the hair had matted over!!

Took him back to the vets today - thinking it would be a 'he's healed well' but it hasn't and could even get a staple because however it's healed means it can't actually close and muscle is still exposed

He's back in for the morning as he's to have fasted for a general and then something I've forgotten the name of, wound will need reopening around it so it can be stitched.

sad

Fluffycloudland77 Sat 04-Jun-16 15:30:10

Debridement? Sounds expensive either way.

Poor little sod.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now