Talk

Advanced search

What's your litter tray routine?

(16 Posts)
KiwiLaura Thu 26-May-16 23:38:43

What do you do on a daily, weekly, monthly etc basis? Do you scoop daily or as needed, or do you change the litter entirely every day or other day? How often do you change the litter entirely (if you do)? What litter are you using?

Currently using tigerino clumping and absolutely fed up with the tracking. I want something where I can scoop daily (preferably flushing) with no smell. What's best?

wonderstuff Thu 26-May-16 23:46:28

My cats routine is to have a scratch, flicking as much litter out as possible, wee, scratch some more, then start to poo and whilst defecating walk out of the tray across the kitchen floor, then scratch at the lino for a bit. She's a twat.
I pick up poo and disinfectant floor once or twice a day, then clear tray completely when I'm worried she'll move from the tray to my wash basket, which is what she does when she's not happy with me. Every other day. I buy the pine chips because I think is masks the smell better.

igotdemons Thu 26-May-16 23:58:58

I've always used the wood chip cat litter as that's what my cat was used to using at the rescue centre we got her from. I buy a nice pine scented one online as the commercial pet shops own brand was more sawdust than pellets! I empty anything that needs removing as and when but it varies on how often I completely change the litter, depending on how much she has used it. Generally once a week but can be more often or less often, just depends how much she has gone out or stayed in that particular week. I don't think the wood pellets are suitable for flushing but they are for the compost bin! 😊

catsofa Thu 26-May-16 23:59:49

We use Tescos cheapest, in a big covered tray which gives the cat some privacy in the kitchen and also stops all the litter being chucked out onto the floor.

Can't put the flap/door on it as she won't use it, so I just change the litter whenever I can smell it.

I clean by scooping solids, then tipping the bulk of the still-clean litter into another tray, then scraping the wet into the bin. Washing up liquid and hot water to clean the bottom of the tray out in the garden, then replace the still-clean litter and top up with new litter.

Toddlerteaplease Fri 27-May-16 12:43:38

I've got a top entry tray and use intersand. I used to put a puppy pad in the bottom, scoop one a day in the morning and full change once a week. But the litter is so good I've decided to get rid of the puppy pad and only do a full charge once every two weeks. There is no smell from it at all.

chocdonutyy Fri 27-May-16 12:53:13

benek from zooplus is great, similar to cats best but tracks a lot less.
Its flushable and I scoop poops a few times a day.
I only smell ollys poop as he just poops on top then disappears! the other two bury it so if im in I know when the deed has been done, but otherwise I generally don't know so just scoop several times a day to keep it all clean.

DigestiveBiscuit Sat 28-May-16 10:21:28

I scoop out whenever, I see something; and change the litter completely once a day - but that is with 2 teenagers, who are presumably still growing a lot; and eating 3 wet pouches a day each. They have just starting going outside, but have not cottoned on yet, what else the garden is for!

NeedACleverNN Sat 28-May-16 10:28:29

Cats best oko plus here. Best cat litter in the world

Scoop daily, change fort nightly-to a month. Depends when I can smell itn

NeedACleverNN Sat 28-May-16 10:35:01

And it's flushable! It does track but I would rather have a tracker than a house stinker

IHaveBrilloHair Sat 28-May-16 10:43:27

Cat's best, scoop daily, completely clean maybe every 3-4 weeks.

SnuffleGruntSnorter Sat 28-May-16 11:07:49

Sainsburys value litter in a covered tray with charcoal filter. I scoop once a day and change the litter once a week or more often if required. We don't have a problem with smells but it does track. I vacuum daily anyway so just do a quick zoom round the litter tray and it's not really a problem

bertsdinner Sat 28-May-16 21:54:46

I use cheap, clay litter (Bob Martin or Sainsbury own brand) in an open tray and change when he uses the tray. I find it keeps the smell down and he likes the litter.
Tried him on on wood pellets but he hated them.
Ive tried fishing out "solids", but its quite diffcult and I find it easier to just clear it out.
My guy is also an enthusiastic digger, he throws it everywhere with his huge, shovel like paws. He wont use a covered tray. Sometimes he makes the most colossal mess ( cat shit under the tray, tray tipped over).
I wish he would go out to at least wee, but wont, he likes his indoor toilet.

exWifebeginsat40 Sat 28-May-16 21:56:53

someone on a thread about this recently recommended World's Best clumping cat litter and it's miraculous. it's pricy, but it lasts forever. it's dust free and flushable. my kitties love it.

you can get it on Amazon and it will change your life. honest.

Iknownuffink Sat 28-May-16 22:07:07

Cats Best Oko scoop every night, ( she shouts at me)

It is flushable. (she checks I do it correctly)

It absorbs odours too.

We have had her for almost two years and are now nearing the end of our third 42 litre bag of Oko.

Currently looking after a neighbours cat and his servants use that horrible cheap gritty stuff, phew it stinks.

IHaveBrilloHair Sat 28-May-16 22:19:09

Cat's best and World's best are similar, Cats best just a bit better.
It does seem more expensive than ordinary brands but really isn't since it lasts for ages, good deals on Amazon and Zooplus too.

Minisoksmakehardwork Sun 29-May-16 22:37:28

I've been using the Benek corn clumping since we got Merlin. Zoo plus was recommended on here and tbh it was a massive bag for a good price so we decided to try that first.

I clean the lumps and poo out every evening. Once a week I've been emptying it right out, wiping out the tray with some kitchen spray and refilling although I could probably skip the complete empty until there's not enough litter left.

We've not had any smell issues nor does it seem to track through the house. Although we do use an enclosed tray with flap now Merlin has worked out the flap.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now