Talk

Advanced search

How much do you feed your young female cat?

(8 Posts)
Thurlow Wed 25-May-16 11:54:59

We got our rescue 2yo about 4 months ago. She was pretty malnourished and barely weighed 3kg, so we've been happily feeding her up. However at the vet's last night she weighed a lovely 3.8kg and the vet doesn't want her to put on much more.

At the moment she gets through 2 full sachets of Felix and nearly a bowl full of dried (Iams or Purina) that she nibbles on during the day. No snacking as she doesn't seem to like meat etc. But obviously this is enough food for her to gain weight on, despite the fact she actually is quite an active cat - out a lot, happily spend half an hour trying to murder a soft toy etc.

What do other people feed their similar sized cats? Is half a sachet of wet food morning and night, and then a bowl of dried to graze on during the day reasonable?

Lamere Wed 25-May-16 11:57:43

3/4 sachets of wet food (didn't like dried) - just average size but seemed to like her food!

Toddlerteaplease Thu 26-May-16 10:01:49

My 5 year old rescue started off at 3.4kg nine months ago and is now 4.5 or something. Her sister has put on 800g so they have 3/8 of a Royal Canin measuring cup between them twice a day. They are not big eaters and before I was throwing a lot away uneaten.

Toddlerteaplease Thu 26-May-16 10:03:24

I was happily fattening them up until the groomer called one of them fat! hmm decided they were a little chunky so don't want them to put anymore on as they are lazy indoor cats.

pilates Thu 26-May-16 18:56:44

2 sachets of wet food and a couple of handfuls of dry.

NeedACleverNN Thu 26-May-16 19:04:07

Mine just has dried food all day access and then a hand full of dried food mixed with water to make a soupy paste three times a day

She doesn't seem to tolerate wet food very well

TheNoodlesIncident Thu 26-May-16 23:10:30

Mine has about 70g wet food like chicken or tuna for breakfast, about 22g of dry at lunchtime, another serving like breakfast for her dinner and another helping of the kibbles to take through the night. She weighed 2.57 kg last time the vet weighed her. She has always looked slim but she is only 11 months at the moment.

Her mother had the same amounts but preferred stuff like Felix and seemed to supplement her diet with slugs (they disappeared from the house during the time we had the cat and returned the night after we had rehomed her) and mice. Occasionally just half a mouse, if she wasn't as peckish. <vom>

hollinhurst84 Thu 26-May-16 23:30:34

Mine is 4kg but male and eats naff all hmm
One pouch of natures menu split into am and pm, no dry
Occasionally he has a hungry day and might reach the giddy heights of 1.5 pouches

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now