Rusty black cats

(38 Posts)
Hopelass Tue 24-May-16 17:59:41

I love how my black cat goes "rusty" in the sun! Anyone else have a rusty cat?

Hopelass Tue 24-May-16 18:00:22

Second pic is just to show she is normally black!

Diamogs Tue 24-May-16 18:00:59

Gorgeous puss

LineyReborn Tue 24-May-16 18:01:41

Oh yes! Mine does, too.

She has a permanent little rusty chin these days. She's 12.

Lonecatwithkitten Tue 24-May-16 18:04:40

If she is over 8 years old I would suggest a check up with vet as can indicate thyroid or kidney problems in older cats.
Is she eating a good quality car food, if not can be amino acid deficiency.
If all of these are okay it can be exposure to the sun, but everything should check out.

gamerchick Tue 24-May-16 18:08:28

It is a deficiency I've read but apparently a raw diet gives them everything they need. If you can be bothered with the faff.

Hopelass Tue 24-May-16 18:08:41

She'll be five this year and has her yearly MOT along with her jabs. She eats a veterinary recommended diet think similar to science plan (I can't remember the name) because she tends towards the porky side but is very healthy otherwise.

Hopelass Tue 24-May-16 18:10:14

I honestly thought it was just a black cat thing. Had no idea it was a deficiency blush maybe have to look at her diet again. She is pure black in normal light though........

Hopelass Tue 24-May-16 18:13:06

Having had a quick google it seems the deficiency is in cats who look rusty in normal lighting conditions. Poppy definitely is pure black in anything but direct sunlight so I'm not panicking yet.

MadamDeathstare Tue 24-May-16 18:14:21

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Hopelass Tue 24-May-16 18:42:09

Yes she was 4 months old when we got her from the rescue centre where she was born (pregnant mum abandoned) we even know her exact birthday!

lljkk Tue 24-May-16 19:00:30

neah, I'm not going for the amino acid deficiency theory. At least not when it's a seasonal thing associated with only one of my black cats (the one who has long hair that takes ages to grow back... so takes ages to grow in).

Simple bleaching of the black fur, I say. I like it, too.

viviennewestood Tue 24-May-16 19:20:42

My black and white kittens have a rustic look to them but I assumed it was just part of their colouring confused Should I be worried?

Hopelass Tue 24-May-16 19:28:20

I too thought it was similar to my brunette hair looking auburn in the sun - just a colouring thing. She's healthy anyway according to the vet so I'm not worried.

SoupDragon Tue 24-May-16 19:31:37

I used to have two black cats and in the sun you could see full tabby stripes on them in rust! In ordinary light they were pure black.

Hopelass Tue 24-May-16 21:10:29

Ooh lovely soup rusty stripes!

Fluffycloudland77 Tue 24-May-16 21:13:51

The breeder of my childhood cats kept the black ones out of the sun completely in the summer.

She showed them and didn't want a brown tinge.

Lone is a vet though and her advice ought to be noted for future use.

OTheHugeManatee Tue 24-May-16 21:22:21

Our black cat doesn't go rusty in the sunshine but if you look carefully in the right light you can see he's black with black stripes grin

Not relevant, I just had to share as I think it's cute.

Hopelass Tue 24-May-16 21:22:51

I'm not dismissing Lone's advice. I will ask when we are next at the vet.

Hopelass Tue 24-May-16 21:23:28

Wow Manatee that is cool!

lljkk Tue 24-May-16 21:29:20

Signs of Tyrosine deficiency seem to be widespread & obviously wrong, not merely rusty fur.

OTheHugeManatee Tue 24-May-16 21:29:41

His sister is grey with grey stripes grin

Hopelass Tue 24-May-16 21:38:25

Thanks lljkk smile
That sounds gorgeous manatee, I love stripey cats but all mine over the years have been black and white or pure black. I also love gingers. Basically, I love all cats. Full. Stop.

Fluffycloudland77 Tue 24-May-16 21:39:53

I just meant it's worth noting.

DigestiveBiscuit Tue 24-May-16 22:00:32

Our black kitten is in parts black smoke - the fur is white with black tips. We can also see faint tabby stripes in the black. There are other variations of fur, which is part white and black.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now