Talk

Advanced search

Mastitis mummy and lonely kitten

(13 Posts)
Boltonlass1972 Mon 16-May-16 19:59:21

3 days ago 2 of our cats 3 kittens went to their new homes at 9 weeks old.
Over the weekend our cat got diarrhoea, vomiting and then yesterday was lethargic, not eating and swollen mammaries. I understand mastitis and it's causes and she's been given shots of antibiotic, anti sickness, pain relief and vitamins and has ongoing meds of rehydration fluid, zantac for cats and antibiotic. She has improved in the last 24 hours and swelling is subsiding.
The thing that bothers me is the vet said she should now be separated from the remaining kitten which we plan to keep. Kitten is lonely without brothers and mum and it's a nightmare keeping a closed door between them as mum wants to see kitten.
Having had mastitis when bf myself, I remembered that feeding could clear blockage etc and and reduction in feeding would reduce supply accordingly.
I figured (prior to the mastitis) that we'd let kitten be with mum until he gave up wanting to feed as they're in the same house. He is eating solids fine but until the weekend had still been getting some milk from mum.
Any cat experts out there that disagree with the vet (and agree with me hehe?) At the moment I'm doing as I'm told.

Boltonlass1972 Mon 16-May-16 20:01:29

*two of our cat's three kittens.

Fluffycloudland77 Mon 16-May-16 20:06:08

Is it more the case that the meds given to mum can pass into the milk and affect the kitten?.

You could always pop a baby grow on her to stop him feeding.

Boltonlass1972 Mon 16-May-16 20:50:31

Hmm, good point about the meds. Lol.. Babygros left our house 12 years ago!

Lonecatwithkitten Mon 16-May-16 22:56:07

In general in cats and dogs weaning the pups/kittens is one of the fastest ways to resolve the mastitis.
If some of the kittens have gone to their new home I am guessing they are roughly 9 weeks. The claws of nine week old kittens can do horrific damage to inflamed infected mammary glands and potentially could end up with needing a mammary strip due to ulceration.

cozietoesie Mon 16-May-16 23:26:04

Ouch.

cozietoesie Mon 16-May-16 23:28:39

I'm remembering that we had to continue to milk cows with mastitis but had to do it by hand. (And threw away the milk afterwards.)

starsmurf Tue 17-May-16 02:32:58

Not only would it risk damage (claws) and be very painful, the milk might contain bacteria, making the kitten dangerously ill. If the kitten were to feed and mum finds it painful, you could risk her attacking the kitten and causing serious injury. In addition, it risks destroying their relationship, resulting in you having to rehome the kitten.

All in all, it's best to listen to the vet on this one.

MattDillonsPants Tue 17-May-16 02:42:13

Wah! Poor Mummy and poor kitten! I agree, listen to vet. She will get better faster and they can be together again.

Lonecatwithkitten Tue 17-May-16 06:49:46

Cows Cozie we continue to milk to maintain the milk supply for economic reasons not health reasons. I have been kicked black and blue by cows with mastitis.

cozietoesie Tue 17-May-16 08:39:39

I'm also remembering one of the people around who became irritated by the seeming slowness of the process, put cold hands on a very senior cow's udder and started to 'have a go' at the milk. The cow turned round - as far as she could with a halter on - and gave him such a look! grin I had to take over fast.

Boltonlass1972 Tue 17-May-16 19:42:06

Thanks guys. It seems totally withdrawing kitten from mum is the best course of action.. Will take about 2 weeks for milk to subside. Thanks for advice.

cozietoesie Tue 17-May-16 21:24:01

Poor lass. All the best to her. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now