Talk

Advanced search

Upstairs Windows

(9 Posts)
RoastChickenDinner Wed 11-May-16 20:13:03

If I open the them to let some cool air in what are the chances of the cat jumping/falling out?

Given than she climbed up the chimney last week when I took the cardboard blocker off the gas fire...

Rollypoly100 Thu 19-May-16 20:16:07

There's a very good company called Flatcats (sorry unable to link) that does a kind of mesh window screen for upstairs windows. Haven't order any but mean to as they look pretty good and our remaining cat looks wistfully out of the top window over roof tops and would be out the window given half a chance smile

Fluffycloudland77 Thu 19-May-16 20:20:34

I'd say pretty high. Can you get child safety devices so they can be open but not wide enough to commit suicide?.

thecatneuterer Thu 19-May-16 20:35:37

Is she an indoors only cat? Is she showing signs of wanting to escape? If the answer to those two questions is yes then the chances of her escaping through an upstairs window are very high indeed.

What sort of windows are they? If they are the tilt and turn type that pivot at the bottom and have an opening at the top then they are the most dangerous windows around. Cats trying to get out of them often end up strangling themselves.

DramaAlpaca Thu 19-May-16 20:43:57

I've known two cats fall out of upstairs windows, so in my experience the chances are quite high.

When he was about a year old my tabby boy fell out of DS's bedroom window. He somehow managed to twist around and land safely, and he was fine, just a bit shaken. He's still here, aged almost 15, with a few of his nine lives left. I don't think he's been near an upstairs window since.

DH used to share a flat with friends, one of whom had a kitten. One day the kitten fell out of the kitchen window, two stories up, and by a miracle landed on the soft top of a convertible car parked below. She was absolutely fine.

RubbishMantra Fri 20-May-16 05:24:35

I'll do the link for FlatCats

I use them upstairs, and they keep the flies out as well.

RoastChickenDinner Fri 20-May-16 13:10:44

Hi All, thanks for that. I did a bit of a supervised test, in that I opened the window not-quite-wide-enough to she if she would try and get through and she did try.

She's not indoor only and is let in and out on demand when we are at home.

I will look at flat cat, xx.

Allergictoironing Fri 20-May-16 13:55:48

Seconding Flat Cats - I just ordered from them for my pair that come home next week (they will be indoors only).

RubbishMantra Fri 20-May-16 16:02:06

My baby cat (Little Monsieur) likes to fling himself at the FlatCat mesh, and stick to it (using his claws) like a velcro wall. Passers by must think I've got one of those stick-on your- back-windscreen Garfields as decor.

On a serious note, I have lost a cat when she fell out of a 3rd floor window, and died instantly when she crashed into a large stone planter.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now