Allergic to cats or litter dust?

(4 Posts)
ntw123 Tue 10-May-16 21:31:48

Does anyone have any experience of allergens in relation to cats. I know the usual suspect is cat dander, but could cat litter also be a culprit.
We have 6 long haired indoor cats, and my wife who has a weakening immune system has suddenly become allergic - most likely to the cats - which we would be heartbroken to depart with - but I am wondering can owners become allergic to cat litter?
We use a non clumping Sepiolite based cat litter (yellow bag white cat) in covered litter trays with flaps, however grains of litter and dust gets scattered everywhere and probably on their coats.

Does anyone have an opinion on allergens? litter?

I'll try and give all the cats a bath to see if that lessens any dust.

randomcatname Sat 14-May-16 17:01:55

I don't know about litter - I imagine the only thing to do would be to remove and replace it to see if your wife's symptoms lessen. Is it possible for your wife to take an antihistamine tablet? I do that if my allergies play up. Not ideal but perhaps worth considering?

NeedACleverNN Sat 14-May-16 19:26:49

Change the litter and see if that helps

If it doesn't it could be the cats.

Could your wife take an antihistamine? Could you up on cleaning? Not saying your house is messy but my dh is allergic to cats but as long as I Hoover twice a day and mop the floors he is ok.

If that doesn't work you could try petal cleanse

www.amazon.co.uk/PetalCleanse-Small-Animal-Treatment-350ml/dp/B019IO93V0

If none of those work and your wife really is suffering, then unfortunatly you may have to make some hard choices

RubbishMantra Sat 14-May-16 23:54:34

World's Best litter is made from a corn by-product, so that might help?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now