Talk

Advanced search

My lovely boy died last night and I feel so empty.

(37 Posts)
TroysMammy Tue 10-May-16 20:20:47

Troy was nearly 6 and my only cat, his brother Barnaby was knocked over 2 1/2 years ago. Troy was diagnosed with hypertrophic cardiomyopathy and in heart failure at Bristol and after a short stay with them came home on 5 different medications which I had to administer three times a day. He had 2 vet visits since January as he had fluid build up in his chest. He just sat still whilst the vet drained fluid (550mls) from him. The vet said he was the best behaved cat she had ever treated. As he was now an indoor cat I saw a side to his personality I never saw before. When I came home from work I would call out "Mammy's home" and I would hear the satisfying thud of him jumping from the window sill and rushing down the stairs to greet me. When I was on the toilet, he would fling open the door and proceed to shuffle in his tray and join me in a wee or a poo and he would start nagging for me to go to bed once News At 10 came on. Last night he seemed fine, he had a brush before bed but couple of hours later he was crying loudly and gasping. Straight away I phoned the emergency vets, got dressed put him in his basket and drove off. Less than 3 minutes into our journey my partner said "He's gone". My heart was ripped out. I have been waiting for the inevitable since January, the vet said cats with this condition only last 6 months, but at least the decision was taken out of my hands and he died with us both with him and not alone. I feel totally numb. I no longer have him to lavish love and care on like I have. He is buried near the hedge he used to shelter under, in view of the patio doors and next to his brother.

cozietoesie Tue 10-May-16 20:29:13

Yes. You do feel empty. It's a terrible loss.

I'm sorry for it.

ghostyslovesheep Tue 10-May-16 21:23:42

I'm sorry for your sad loss xxxx

isamonster Tue 10-May-16 21:28:52

ì'm sorry - poor you and poor Troy. He knew how much he was loved and you did everything you could for him. Doesn't make it hurt any less I know.

drinkyourmilk Tue 10-May-16 21:38:38

I'm so so sorry for your loss. Xx

NaffOffMartha Tue 10-May-16 21:39:50

I'm so sorry. flowers

DramaAlpaca Tue 10-May-16 21:41:23

So very sorry for the loss of your lovely puss.

YoureAllABunchOfBastards Tue 10-May-16 21:42:50

So sorry. Been there too recently xxxflowers

RubbishMantra Tue 10-May-16 21:48:31

I'm so sorry.

Probably no consolation to you right now, but he passed with the people he loved, and loved him. flowers

Would it help you to have a little memorial for his and his brother's resting place? Or a local artist to paint a picture of them together?

TroysMammy Tue 10-May-16 21:51:40

Thank you for your lovely messages and ideas. It's now 9.50 and I can't stop looking at the clock because that is the time he would come downstairs to tell me it's nearly time for bed 😢

timtam23 Tue 10-May-16 21:53:17

I'm so sorry, RIP Troy flowers

Wolfiefan Tue 10-May-16 21:54:49

They leave such a hole in your life and at that age it must seem so completely unfair.
But your gorgeous boy was loved and adored and given the best possible care through his whole life. In that you can eventually find some comfort. He was a lucky boy to have you and you will never forget him.
flowers

Vinorosso74 Tue 10-May-16 22:02:58

So sorry for your loss. He sounds a lovely cat. RIP Troy flowers

LocalEditorEssex Tue 10-May-16 22:06:56

flowers I am so sorry flowers

Iwouldratherbemuckingout Tue 10-May-16 22:10:23

I am so so sorry for your loss, rest in peace Troy xx

MilkTwoSugarsThanks Tue 10-May-16 22:12:51

I am so sorry. I know that pain too, and there are no words to make it better.

flowers

GipsyDanger Tue 10-May-16 22:22:09

I'm so sorry for you. I'm in the same boat with my cat, probably going to have to get her put down this week. She's 6 to. Life just bloody sucks sometimes flowers

RustyPaperclip Tue 10-May-16 22:34:28

I am so incredibly sorry for your loss. I lost my boy cat on Friday and it was heartbreaking, in fact it still is. To be honest the only thing that has got me through has been posting on here. I have just lit a candle again tonight for my boy and I will be thinking of your cat as well. Please take comfort in the fact that you gave him a loving home. He knew, believe me flowers

I also miss the 'satisfying thud' if it helps, please look up my thread about my unwell Siamese. The advice I was given really helped

TroysMammy Tue 10-May-16 23:06:07

Rusty, I commented on your post at the time and mentioned Troy and the fact cats hide illness so well. Never would I have believed I would be going through the same thing a few days later. Thanks for kind words.

Rollypoly100 Tue 10-May-16 23:23:07

I'm so sorry for you. I've just lost my rescue boy a week ago. He had been in for bloods to test for thyroid and had a light sedation. He slept that night and woke the next day gasping and unable to use his right front leg. We rushed him to the vet and had to make a decision to pts there and then. The vet said it had probably been a stroke. He was 16. I miss him so much.

Tweety80 Tue 10-May-16 23:39:12

So sorry about Troy flowers
It's been a year since I had to make the hardest decision in having my cat put to sleep because of heart failure, he was 14 and a rescue I'd had for 13 years. I was inconsolable for weeks and still miss him now but I think it just shows how much love we have for our pets.
Big hugs x

anoldiebutagoody Wed 11-May-16 11:42:14

So sorry to hear about you boy RIP Troy x

tippytap Wed 11-May-16 13:45:13

I am so sorry for your loss xxx

IthinkIamsinking Wed 11-May-16 17:58:29

Ive sent you a PM OP..... my cat also had a serious heart problem. So sorry for your loss

QOD Wed 11-May-16 18:01:26

flowers
I'm So sorry

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now