Talk

Advanced search

Advice from the experts regarding our first kittens

(10 Posts)
AnotherBloodyChinHair Tue 10-May-16 06:54:45

Hi everyone. We will soon be getting two rescue kittens; they will be our first pets. Obviously I am reading as much as I can but I would appreciate some practical advice.

Hygiene issues: The most logical place for the kittens (and then cats) to be is the kitchen, with a microchip catflap into the garden. However, just wondering, is that hygienic? I can't really stop them from going on to the worktops can I?

Upstairs: Cat owners, do you allow your cats upstairs and into the bedrooms and if not, how do you prevent them from entering particularly when you're not in?

Beds: Do you allow them in your bed? It's all my DD wants in life, to sleep with a cat!

Equipment: What toys, equipment have you found invaluable? I am thinking cat tree, hammock, scratching panel.... Any recommendations?

Safety: I'd like to kitten proof the area as much as possible so they don't get hurt, so electrical cables, toilet seat to be down.... what else?

Health: As they are rescue kittens, they will come to us at 13 weeks with all the basic healthcare done. How soon do we need to register them with a vet and get pet insurance for them?

Any advice whatsoever will be much appreciated. Many thanks.

sashh Tue 10-May-16 07:50:38

I don't let mine in the kitchen unless I am there because she will get on the worktops. I have heard some people have put foil on worktops and cats don't like f at home on my bed.

I've always put the litter tray in the bathroom/toilet - I don't like them in the kitchen, I wouldn't poo in the kitchen so why would I let a cat.

Get insurance ASAP and also take them to the vet for a check up and to register them.

Toys - either your kittens will love everything you buy or they will ignore them. You just have to try, balls made from foil can be popular.

JapanNextYear Tue 10-May-16 07:58:42

We trained all our cats from an early age not to go on work tops, a firm 'no!'

No messy paw print evidence that they do it while we are out. We keep bedroom doors shut all day to keep them out and at night. So even if door open they rarely come in now. Covered cat litter tray in kitchen till they started to just go outside. It's not great but when they are little they need it.

Playing with them is important, sharp little claws and teeth though. Ring your vet re health check, if it's all been done them it might just be for their first injections, check if they'll need wormed, all kittens have worms.

Insure as soon as possible if you are going to insure.

Enjoy them before they do that sneaky thing of turning into cats!

MilkTwoSugarsThanks Tue 10-May-16 08:03:07

I'm with your DD - nothing like sleeping with a warm furry purring kitty!

You can keep your own bedroom door shut so your cats have access to your DD's bedroom only. They may be too little to climb the stairs at first though.

AnotherBloodyChinHair Tue 10-May-16 20:41:55

Thank you everyone! Please keep the tips and suggestions coming! smile

Wolfiefan Tue 10-May-16 20:46:13

Ours were shooed off every time they got on the surfaces. Now they don't!
Our cats go in our bedroom but not in with the kids. This is because a) they often decide they want food/attack us/have a mad whizz in the early hours and b) if they get shut in then they would mess. Plus cat vomit isn't nice on soft toys.
To keep them out of where they aren't allowed to go shut doors.
Ours like squishy balls and a feather on a stick. Plus a laser pointer but kids can't use that one.
We blocked up the chimney (yes really!) and the hole under the dishwasher. NEVER use the washing machine or tumble drier without checking for furry monsters.

Wolfiefan Tue 10-May-16 20:46:27

And pictures. We want pictures!

JapanNextYear Tue 10-May-16 21:18:41

Yes, absolutely check washing machine and tumble dryer as well as making sure they aren't tipped in with a washing lead. Ours used to hide in the back of the sofa.

Wolfiefan Tue 10-May-16 21:22:32

And check what food and litter they are on.
First night confine them somewhere quiet and safe with litter tray, food and water.
With regards to vet. They will need to see them when defleaing and worming due. Don't forget to discuss neutering and microchipping.
And insure ASAP. They are kittens after all.
You need to be VERY VERY careful they don't escape until they are settled and neutered.

AnotherBloodyChinHair Wed 11-May-16 16:53:36

Ooh lots of tips here, thank you everyone!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now