Talk

Advanced search

Tips for moving kitten on to dry food

(14 Posts)
ghostyslovesheep Sun 08-May-16 21:52:12

All suggestions welcome!

Got DC5 this weekend - he's from a rescue I have links with - he's adorable and his name is Bernard

All 4 of my cats are on a dry diet - food out all day etc

Kitten has been fed mainly wet food - currently I am offering him wet food 3 times a day and dry food all day (kitten food) but he's not interested in the dry at all.

Any clues how to move him on - I've tried mixing them but he eats round it - though he thinks nothing of eating cat litter hmm

ElegantDream Sun 08-May-16 22:01:53

Dry food is really far inferior and worse for them, why do you want to move him onto dry?

PinkSparklyPussyCat Sun 08-May-16 22:05:06

My vet told me that, providing it's a high quality dry food and water is available all the time, dry food is OK for them. Harry was on dried food until he broke his jaw and he now seems to be going back to it - his choice.

I don't have any suggestions about changing the food ghosty but I wanted to say that Bernard is gorgeous and I love his name!

ghostyslovesheep Sun 08-May-16 22:08:17

I want to move him on to dry because that is what my 4 other cats eat - I am happy with that choice

Thanks Pink - I have been told the same btw - mine are all on decent food with no issues x

lifeissweet Sun 08-May-16 22:10:13

Nothing useful to add except my Lordy that kitten is a cutie.

PinkSparklyPussyCat Sun 08-May-16 22:11:36

Harry has been having two pouches of wet food a day but we're hoping he'll be happy with dry in the morning so we don't have manky tuna in the kitchen in the warm weather. He seems to want to go back to dry (he's been eating the biscuits and leaving the wet food) but he hasn't eaten properly since Friday mornign so he's off to the vets tomorrow morning and can have whatever he fancies!

Wolfiefan Sun 08-May-16 22:14:11

We had a gorgeous cat (called Harry!) who got cystitis on dried food. It was horrid.
I have been told they don't drink enough when eating dried food.
Leave the dried down and offer wet morning and night?

ghostyslovesheep Sun 08-May-16 22:16:53

Thanks smile

That's the main issue - I don't want meaty stuff hanging around all day as I work PT - they do all have the odd pouch but mainly dry - with lots of water ( 3 bowls in separate rooms plus outside but they still prefer the toilet) I'll leave the dry out and hope he starts to eat it!

Iknownuffink Mon 09-May-16 01:10:28

Never in a month of Sundays would I feed dry food to a kitten.

Cats are obligate carnivores! They eat meat, meat has moisture. Cats do not, as a rule have a thirst 'regulator'.

Dry food for cats causes all manner of health issue.

Iknownuffink Mon 09-May-16 01:16:49

issueS

ghostyslovesheep Mon 09-May-16 07:47:03

Okay - that's great but not overly helpful 😀

RubbishMantra Mon 09-May-16 14:20:21

I give mine dry Applaws , with a wet food supper. Never had any problems <touches wood>

You could try mixing the dry with some hot water to make it mushy (leaving it to cool obv.)

He might be teething his adult teeth, my little lad wouldn't eat dry during that time. He's stick his tongue out as far as he could, and paw at his mouth. I took him to the vets. "just teething" she said, and pointed out a molar just coming through.

Now he prefers dry. Water available at all times - including the toilet bowl, which he seems to prefer. confused

RubbishMantra Mon 09-May-16 14:23:36

*But make sure it's a good quality dry, like Applaws, (80% meat, no cereals) none of that Go Cat crap

PinkSparklyPussyCat Mon 09-May-16 14:25:25

Harry has always had James Wellbeloved, I found Applaws 'didn't agree with him' if you get my drift! I'd ideally like him to have a mix of wet and dry so I can leave the dry down during the day and give him wet at night and take it up. He might have other ideas though!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now