Talk

Advanced search

How to cat proof a garden

(13 Posts)
Pets123 Sat 07-May-16 19:01:50

After my ct getting hit by a car last week, I want to cat proof my garden so nothing happens to the other one, how do I make it so as to ensure my cat can't get out?

Wolfiefan Sat 07-May-16 19:02:51

I believe there are companies who do it for you. Did you want that or did you want to DIY? I'm sorry about your cat.
flowers

Oldraver Sat 07-May-16 23:34:17

I think there is a company called protectapet that will do it (at greta cost) or you can buy stuff and DIY.

Also if you look at their method you could DIY it...there are a few videos on YouTube. I believe someone used hanging basket hangers...the ones that have a bit that goes at 45 degrees to support the net

Oldraver Sat 07-May-16 23:47:25

The DIY ones are all fucking ugly though

ElegantDream Sun 08-May-16 09:52:59

We used Securacat. I've been really happy with them - personally, I think they are one of the better quality ones out there. For a smallish garden they do a kit for under £200 if you want to diy it. They will also fit it for you.

ElegantDream Sun 08-May-16 09:58:03

Securacat website

Foxyspook Sun 08-May-16 20:38:22

I have been looking at this. Securacat and protectapet have both been very helpful. Securacat cheaper - just depends how straightforward the boundaries are...mine are difficult.

ElegantDream Sun 08-May-16 20:58:17

What makes yours difficult? We had lots of trees, but managed it smile

Disneyddog Sun 08-May-16 21:27:09

Are they any good at keeping cats OUT rather than in? We have a greyhound and I worry in case a cat cones into our garden when she's in it!

ElegantDream Sun 08-May-16 21:34:32

We haven't had a visitor into the garden since we put it up. I'm really happy about that.

I have to say that it's not guaranteed to be perfect. We were told that if they do get in, they can't find a way out and get trapped, therefore they learn not to come back. You wouldn't want a cat trapped in (or any other animal).

I have watched the cats that used to come into the garden try and get it, but they haven't managed (it's too high a jump to jump over and they don't like to walk on the netting).

Most people I've spoken to said tha animals are kept away.

Foxyspook Sun 08-May-16 22:17:04

Just that I am very bad at DIY and the garden has lots of different boundaries including low roofs and double gates and large bushes and trees!

ElegantDream Sun 08-May-16 22:43:35

DIY: it's really not that bad - as long as you have a drill with s screwdriver attachment.

Trees: I had to be prepared to cut back more than expected - you need to get back to a single trunk, if possible until above the netting, then the tree can go through the netting.

Honestly, I thought I couldn't do it, but once started, it's ok.

How low are the roofs? They said 5' high minimum, but 6' is better.

I don't regret cutting back the garden. It's such a relief knowing my cat is safely contained. She's spent the entire day outside today. I don't need to worry about cars/ getting lost/ dogs etc.

I think all companies offer fitting as well, but cost is dependent on where you are based.

ElegantDream Sun 08-May-16 22:46:42

Double gates - you put a wooden baton over the top and the netting attaches to this. An arched gate would be difficult, but not a level top.

I ended up sectioning off one area of the garden - just a small area but that would have been hard to cat proof (not impossible). It was just easier.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now