Talk

Advanced search

Cats under house arrest

(12 Posts)
RubbishMantra Thu 05-May-16 23:54:51

I sprayed the weeds growing between the flagstones yesterday with Sainburys "Resolva Path & Patio Ready to Use". All the packaging says is "keep away from animals and children."

Kept the lads in today, do you think it'll be OK to let them out tomorrow? I feel sad keeping them in, because we've had our first warm and sunny day today.

cozietoesie Fri 06-May-16 07:07:30

I seem to recall that it's OK for pets to go on treated areas once they're dry?

Oldraver Fri 06-May-16 10:51:29

OOH I am about to do this. I really dont like using weedkiller, but we have one area we need to do and Ernie likes eating foliage....--the bastarding lillies are all now covered--.

I'm thinking it still wont be very good if a cat tries to eat leaves that have been sprayed even if it dries ?

The area I need to do is being covered so I am thinking of covereding it straight away with membrane

RubbishMantra Fri 06-May-16 20:10:12

I kept them in for about 40 hours.

Guess what? They're just lazing and chasing each other about the house now. Reminds me of when I was a kid and your parents would say, "It's a lovely day outside, why not go out and play?" grin

Fluffycloudland77 Fri 06-May-16 20:12:55

I use salt, there's no waiting period then.

RubbishMantra Tue 10-May-16 22:56:14

Salt? That kills weeds Fluffy?

MCat loves salt though. He'd pimp himself out for a jar of Marmite.

cozietoesie Tue 10-May-16 23:04:59

Salt is very good for weeds. I use it between the flagstones outside.

Fluffycloudland77 Wed 11-May-16 06:36:04

You can water it in but it works really well. I use smart price stuff from morrisons.

RubbishMantra Wed 11-May-16 14:16:51

Thanks for the tip - a big box of salt is on next shopping list.

cozietoesie Wed 11-May-16 14:39:03

The Romans used to salt fields as part of the punishment for insurrection. Pretty dreadful that was as well - clobbered future crops.

RubbishMantra Wed 11-May-16 15:13:33

Well, you learn something everyday! I'll definitely give that a go, once I've scraped out the dead weeds and moss/lichen. The weedkiller didn't seem to work so well on those, I wonder if the salt will?

I know cat wee/poo is pretty proficient at killing plants - I still haven't quite forgiven them for killing off my lavender, then moved onto the honeysuckle.

There's a copious amount of poo where the honeysuckle used to be. I've re-named it Pooh Corner. Ah well, onwards and upwards with the soil sifter. (Panning for shit in other words)

cozietoesie Wed 11-May-16 15:21:35

It's also cheap as chips if that might be useful. Try to get it - or as much as possible - on the soil as opposed to the concrete. (And I usually aim to put it on before any rain shower just to help. (I'm lazy.))

It's useful, if you can, to buy at least one traditional salt container and to re-fill that from the larger quantity. It just makes it easier to pour the salt straight in one direction.

I hope that MCat doesn't go to extremes with it. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now