Talk

Advanced search

first couple of days with new rescue cat

(9 Posts)
paddingtonbear1 Mon 02-May-16 12:51:18

DD (now 12) has wanted a cat for ages. DH and I both like cats but have never had one ourselves. We moved house in Feb, this place has a bigger garden and back door which could take a cat flap, so we thought we'd go for it.
We brought Carla home on Sat from the local RSPCA. She has a lovely nature so we can only think she was overlooked for so long because she's mainly black! Seems to be settling in OK so far, eating OK and likes pottering around the house (obviously she's not allowed out yet). She follows DD around in the morning smile
On the centre's advice we're giving her Royal Canin sensitivity control wet/dry food, as she has a sensitive tummy. They said we could try switching in a week or so, not sure about this yet has her poo is slightly runny? Also they gave her one pouch at breakfast then dry food later, she does seem to prefer the pouch (chicken and rice).
At the centre she had a box and blanket as she liked boxes, here though she seems to have a favourite spot on the landing. Maybe we should get a proper cat bed?
Hopefully she will be happy with us smile

kimlo Mon 02-May-16 12:56:44

My cats have a bed with a lid that they love, but they sometimes use the other bed. They also have a favourite place on the settee and they lie in front of diffrent windows chasing the sun. They are the first cats Ive gad that bither with the beds.

cozietoesie Mon 02-May-16 12:56:49

She sounds great. smile

By the way, I've never had a cat yet that wanted to use a cat bed. I think that some posters have had success with dog beds but if all you're worried about is her, I wouldn't be. wink

SpongeBobJudgeyPants Mon 02-May-16 12:57:18

Good that you took on a mainly black cat. We got a pure black one. She had been at the Rescue for 6 months, and I think she had given up hope. People are so superstitious. It's the 21st century fgs! Sounds like she has settled in well. Ours did, but is a bit more anxious than other cats we have had. Spongecat really likes her bed with a roof on. We bought one, and it wasn't cheap. It was only later I realised we could have made one for pennies. Probably on Youtube if you want to take it further. I'm sure she'll be really happy with you smile

cozietoesie Mon 02-May-16 12:59:13

By the way, I exclude Siamese from that - they seem to walk into a place, check out the facilities and - if those are generally OK - head off to commandeer the bed belonging to their 'person'. grin

paddingtonbear1 Mon 02-May-16 13:08:39

I think Carla had been at the rescue centre for around 4 months. Her previous owners moved away and left her behind to fend for herself - the centre manager said this happens a lot!
At the moment she is sat next to me, on top of dh's old rucksack which she's taken a shine to. Maybe I won't worry about a cat bed grin

cozietoesie Mon 02-May-16 13:16:48

Is DH her 'person'? wink

paddingtonbear1 Mon 02-May-16 13:24:49

Not really cozie - she'll come to any of us. If anything, dd is her favourite (maybe because she feeds her in the morning)!

paddingtonbear1 Mon 02-May-16 13:57:45

Which is the best pet insurance? We currently have 6 weeks free with More Than (via the RSPCA), but not sure who to go with after that. Carla is 5 with no pre-existing health issues (that we know of)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now