Cat war

(3 Posts)
iloveeverykindofcat Sun 01-May-16 08:15:14

So, my formerly friendly cats are fighting. It all started Friday when a door made a noise that sounded like a cat screeching (and possibly caught a couple of Zara's hairs) which each interpreted as a hostile attack by the other and went for each other. There have been a few short sharp physical bouts but no damage to either (so clearly they are not going all out, or else there would be blood and scratches). Basically they don't want to see each other and hiss and make horrible noises when they do. They do have their own natural territories within the house (Bibi upstairs, Zara down, yard used to be neutral but after this it seems to be Zara's). I think I'm gonna have to re-socialize them from square 1. So I've ordered more Feliway etc and some good toys so I can give Bibi exercise/playtime upstairs (or try, she's very lazy).

I think it's best if I just keep them apart for a few days till they forget and change their moods. This means I'll have to sleep downstairs as Z can't sleep without me (I slept in my bed last night, she came up, and there was friction between them as B considers my room her territory). Apart from spending time cuddling and playing with each, any tips? Anyone ever done this before? I'm heartened by the fact there has been no blood or torn fur and I do have enough rooms that each can have a fair space of their own while we work through this, but it's still pretty stressful. I haven't had good sleep on Fri/Sat night due to a combination of this and an intense period at work (I'm a lecturer, and until last week I was teaching and lecturing whilst finishing a book to deadline and marking theses, but as of now teaching is over so things should cool off). .....Help? Encouragement?

cozietoesie Sun 01-May-16 09:14:58

It sounds not so much as if they've previously been 'friendly' but more as if they used to tolerate each other?

Do you/they have a clear daily routine?

iloveeverykindofcat Sun 01-May-16 09:21:35

Yeah I'd say we all have a fairly regular routine, which I'm keeping to as much as possible. It's probably fair to say there were in the zone between friendly and tolerate - sometimes they would lie together, mutual groom etc, sometimes not. I do have a sneaking suspicion that Bibi quite likes fighting - there's still something of the street cat in her.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now