Talk

Advanced search

My cat lost its leg

(97 Posts)
winkywinkola Sat 30-Apr-16 17:16:29

She was fine at around 9am this morning.

Then at about 11.30 my 3 year old ds noticed she was in the kitchen, lying very still and asked me why she was wet.

I went over and saw her right leg was missing from the shoulder. No blood at all. My poor poor girl. shockshockshocksad

I yelled for h and we got her to vet asap. He said he's never seen such a clean slicing off like this - straight through the humerous - and that it's very dirty. He said injuries from cars usually result in shattered bone. She has wounds on her tongue and a bit of a bashed face.

She drugged up to the eyeballs so they can clean the wound and operate.

I just can't think how she lost her leg so cleanly. I looked on the road and found her broken collar with a bent identity disc.

We've not had her very long and she wasn't insured. We just didn't get round to it. Fools. She is insured now but it's going to cost us £1k for the poor lady's treatment.

What a crap thing to happen.

ShutUpLegs Sat 30-Apr-16 17:20:56

I am so sorry.

Something very similar happened to one of my Mum's cats - just found with one leg severed - we never worked out how. It was a hind leg, she adapted very quickly and lived a long and happy three-legged life.

I hope your poor lady pulls through and recovers strongly.

PinkSparklyPussyCat Sat 30-Apr-16 17:31:59

Your poor little cat, I hope she pulls through and recovers.

Can I ask what area you are in (not exactly, just generally)? There have been so many incidents of cats being hurt (or worse) in the news recently.

Thinking of you and your poor puss flowers

Fluffycloudland77 Sat 30-Apr-16 17:32:39

Good grief, your poor cat. I just can't imagine how she managed to even get home.

TheoriginalLEM Sat 30-Apr-16 17:38:41

oh god what a shock for you.

fwiw my cat lost her leg in a rta but we had to amputate rather than it actually coming away in the accident. I brought her home the next day (vet nurse) and it was like she had always had only three legs.

They do amazingly well and adapt really quickly. Of course infection and creating a smooth area on the stump are her issues now but she will be on antibiotics.

Cats always amaze me how well they bounce back from trauma.

pennygoodlife Sat 30-Apr-16 17:40:08

Poor little thing.i bet you're worried sick. I'm sure she'll be fine and adapt wonderfully.

Gatekeeper Sat 30-Apr-16 17:42:30

Dear God- what a dreadful shock for you all and what a horrible experience for your poor cat sad
. It's amazing that they have such a strong instinct to return home no matter how injured

Fingers crossed for a speedy recovery

cozietoesie Sat 30-Apr-16 18:42:46

Dear Goodness. Fingers crossed for the poor lass.

Vinorosso74 Sat 30-Apr-16 19:27:59

What a horrible thing to happen and very odd. Your poor cat I hope she recovers well and I hope you recover from the shock ok.

Mincepies76 Sat 30-Apr-16 20:31:47

Your poor catty, and awful for you. My old boy lost his front leg at a young age. He lived a fine old life without it.
Fingers crossed your cat makes a speedy recovery x

cozietoesie Sat 30-Apr-16 20:58:43

I hope your vet will be at least 'mentioning it' to the local constabulary? (I believe that vets often report certain types of injuries.)

Lonecatwithkitten Sat 30-Apr-16 22:48:35

Cozie is right it should be reported to the police. We usually get owners to do make report as the offence is against them and then we provide the police with a statement.

cozietoesie Sat 30-Apr-16 22:58:01

Thanks for that info, Lone. I wasn't sure of the exact procedure.

winkywinkola Sun 01-May-16 00:56:53

We're very rural. Surrounded by fields but there is a road in front of our house where cars zoom by. Why the cats bother going that direction when they've acres of fields behind the house, I've no idea.

H said the vet was shaking when she saw the injury. She'd never seen anything like it.

Her husband, another vet at the practice, had called me twice now saying the wound is very dirty. They've tried to clean it twice now. They'll try again tomorrow with a view to surgery on Monday.

I really really like my cat. She's a darling girl. Her sister is looking for her and sniffs the area in the kitchen where I found her without her leg.

The vets have said she's a very strong girl for getting home. Obviously shock might still kill her or infection but her youth and apparent stamina are on her side. I'm so so hoping she'll pull through. I miss her already.

winkywinkola Sun 01-May-16 00:57:55

Thank you so much for your kind words.

sizeofalentil Sun 01-May-16 01:00:09

Do you think it could be linked to the recent spate of cat attacks? Could you please report it to SNARL: www.facebook.com/South-Norwood-Animal-Rescue-and-Liberty-SNARL-624100301029007/

Fluffycloudland77 Sun 01-May-16 19:03:58

How is she doing?.

cozietoesie Sun 01-May-16 19:19:26

Yes. I'm sure a lot of us have been thinking about you all. How is she?

HappyGoLuckyGirl Sun 01-May-16 19:35:21

My cat had her right hind leg amputated when she was about 18 months. She's nearly 8 now and still goes outdoors, gets into scraps with other cats and leads a very normal cat life.

Wishing your moggie a speedy recovery.

winkywinkola Sun 01-May-16 19:35:38

She's perked up a lot according to the vet. Now she is a bit mot chipper and most likely out of shock, they think she is ready for surgery.

They now want to "pack" the wound to try and get out the deeply ground in dirt and now necrotising flesh. I don't really know what that means but apparently removal of the packing brings out a lot of the horrid stuff with it. That was done today.

Then tomorrow, they will operate to close the wound. The chances of secondary infection once the wound is closed will be lower after this packing procedure.

The vet kept stressing what an amazingly strong girl she is to have gone through such horror AND to have made it home.

The vet who first saw her and who spoke to me on the telephoned said she couldn't rule out sinister causes. There's not a lot we can do about that. I can't find the limb anywhere on our country road.

I hope the kit will be back with us tomorrow evening. All quiet and snoozing in the study. Her sister is prowling about, looking for her.

Thank you for your kind words

cozietoesie Sun 01-May-16 19:45:47

I suppose it could have been farm equipment but I would still make sure that a report goes to the police.

Fingers tightly crossed for her. She has indeed been amazingly strong - as has everyone involved really.

GRW Sun 01-May-16 20:08:13

Your poor little cat. What a shocking thing to happen. I hope the surgery will go well tomorrow and that she will soon be home with you.

timtam23 Sun 01-May-16 22:22:40

Goodness I am so sorry to read this and I hope your poor little cat pulls through. The latest update sounds more positive smile

Pipbin Sun 01-May-16 22:26:23

How dreadful, poor baby.

Seeing that you are rural could there be any either farming machinery or trapping involved?

BigcatLittlecat Mon 02-May-16 15:05:42

How is she today, have been thinking of you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now