Rescue kitten with a toddler

(4 Posts)
springhasprung Wed 27-Apr-16 10:34:18

I'm adopting a rescue kitten and he'll be coming to live with me and 2 year old dd at the beginning of June when he turns 12 weeks old.

Apart from making sure they both respect each other and never leaving them unsupervised - what else do I need to know?

I've had cats before but always adults. I'd really like a kitten so it grows up being used to dd and it would be really nice for them to grow up together.

BagelGoesWalking Wed 27-Apr-16 15:23:42

I'm no expert (and I'm sure some will come along) but I've seen stairgates recommended.

Cat can get through them but toddler can't! High places within reach of cat but too high for toddler to reach, so kitten can safely get out of the way if toddler is too full on.

Hope you'll post a picture when he arrives!

TreadSoftlyOnMyDreams Wed 27-Apr-16 15:46:01

Don't buy cat toys with any sort of ribbon or string or something on the end of a stick. The toddler and kitten will get hopelessly overexcited and there will be scratches and unnecessary tears.

Find a safe place for the litter box, and a safe place for the kitten to hide out in when he/she's had enough of an overenthusiastic toddler.

Buy some antiseptic or antiseptic wipes for any minor scratches just in case.

Block access behind the fridge - ours disappeared in there for hours but climbed up inside the element bits that curl around on the back of a fridge.

Hot water bottle for the basket/box.

Book in jabs, micro-chipping and neutering asap so it's in the diary.

springhasprung Wed 27-Apr-16 18:25:08

Thank you both smile

I'll definitely post a pic. I'm going to see him tomorrow so will try and get one then.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now