Talk

Advanced search

Heart murmur and kidney problems in an elderly cat

(8 Posts)
Roseberrry Tue 19-Apr-16 12:19:44

Just took my old boy to the vets for his vaccinations and a check up, the vet said it sounds like he has a heart murmur and some kidney problems. He wouldn't let her take a blood sample so am going back to try again in a few weeks time. She said he might need to be sedated for his blood sample but obviously this comes with risks.

Does anyone have any experience of any of this? It's all maybes at the moment but I'm worried.

Roseberrry Tue 19-Apr-16 12:54:20

I should add he is 17.

Catnuzzle Tue 19-Apr-16 13:06:08

CatnuzzleCat is 18, with a serious heart murmur for the last 4 years and her kidneys are also beginning to fail. It is likely she also has stomach cancer.
We have been told a few months.
She is no different to when she was in perfect health, but is now enjoying any food she desires and copious amounts of cat milk.
We are enjoying her while we have her.

cozietoesie Tue 19-Apr-16 13:11:55

Seniorboy has had a heart murmur for years. (He's a fair bit older than your boy.) It doesn't seem to trouble him any day to day although his vets always remark on it and - what could/should be done about it anyway at his age? (I had this conversation yesterday with his vet in fact.)

His kidneys seem fine - for a cat of his age - but he's also completely resistant to taking bloods these days. (He doesn't claw or bite, he just squirms - last time they tried, he pretty well ended up up the back of She Who Must Be Obeyed the Chief Vet Nurse's tunic to exasperated but admiring comments from all in the room!)

Did his vet and you have any reason for suspecting dodgy kidneys? (Other than some general degradation of function with age.)

Roseberrry Tue 19-Apr-16 13:20:52

She didn't give a reason for the kidneys, she had been feeling that area though so I'm assuming she felt something.

So do you think it is worth sedating him to find out more about it? He's getting weaker now and I'm worried he won't come out of it.

cozietoesie Tue 19-Apr-16 13:28:13

To me, that would be one for a solid discussion on the options with your vet.

(I'm probably no help, to be honest. We didn't expect Seniorboy to make 15 when he came to us so he basically got anything he wanted/enjoyed unless it was actively bad for him. And because he just KOKOs, that means he's been living a life of indulgence for 7 years! grin)

Roseberrry Tue 19-Apr-16 13:57:20

Thanks Cozie I will do that. The nurse he had today had a strong accent and spoke very quietly so it was hard to get a good grip of his situation! Booked in with our usual vet next.

Your cat sounds very lucky smile

cozietoesie Tue 19-Apr-16 14:03:54

I'm the lucky one actually. He's a joy to be with. smile

(He was a recently bereaved bonded Siamese (a real biggie) when he came to us and it was just good fortune that he decided to re-bond with me. He might not have. )

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now