Talk

Advanced search

Cattery standards - what to expect.

(3 Posts)
aviator Sun 17-Apr-16 18:27:52

I'm looking for a cattery whilst we are on holiday, first time I have done this so not sure what to expect standard wise. (Cat sitter not an option). I have been to visit one that was highly recommended from on a local forum and everyone says how lovely the lady is and fab with cats, gives them lots of fuss and treats, toys etc.

I left disappointed when I visited it. The cats stay inside, and are kept in a cage in a room (4 cages) They are about 5ftx3ftx4ft . She lets them out into the room (like a small bedroom) individually a few times a day and plays with them, grooms them. It looked reasonably clean, but the house stank of smoke, she obviously smokes inside and it was really stuffy. She seemed a really lovely genuine person though. To be honest I was a bit shock at how small the cages were - I don't know how keen my furry babe will be to wander out for a play with a stranger....but everyone raves about her. I'm going to look at some more outdoor style catterys with pens and runs. So to get to the point - do you think fuss and caring wins over a more 'business' like cattery.

Fluffycloudland77 Sun 17-Apr-16 20:11:35

Ours is about 3x7ft but they stay in all the time.

It's very clean and all the pens face the stables & they can watch the birds and the gun dogs milling around.

I visited one that was like a cat concentration camp, I can not believe anyone left their cats there, It was smelly and all internal pens. Some cats faced a brick wall for the duration. They all looked miserable.

Lonecatwithkitten Sun 17-Apr-16 21:39:37

This page gives great advice on choosing a cattery and icat has a list of approved catteries.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now