Talk

Advanced search

Old cat, house extension planned - what to do?

(8 Posts)
TresDesolee Sun 17-Apr-16 10:52:05

My old girl is about 20 (rescue cat, so not completely sure, but we've had her for 18 years). In good health, remarkably, but mostly sleeps these days and is a bit incontinent.

We're having a two-storey extension done this summer. There's going to be loads of banging and disruption and we'll probably move out for 12 weeks to avoid the worst of it.

What best to do with kitty during this period? She'll absolutely hate the banging and strangers in the house, but because of her widdling problem (which I'm guessing will get worse in a strange house) I'm worried about taking her into rental accommodation in case she ruins the furniture or carpets.

Anyone have any bright ideas? Is it kind to put her in a cattery for this length of time? (Really don't want to have her pts!)

The extension is non-negotiable - my 13 year old DS is sleeping in a room not much bigger than a large cardboard box, it has to be done...

Fluffycloudland77 Sun 17-Apr-16 12:14:21

How bad is the weeing? Are we talking incontinent or urine infections.

TresDesolee Sun 17-Apr-16 14:34:25

Incontinent I think - the vet says no infection or kidney problems. It's a fairly regular occurrence and can be quite unpleasant, smell-wise.

Was just talking to my neighbour who's a builder and he was saying lots of people just leave the cats on site (obviously shut away in an unaffected room).

Fluffycloudland77 Sun 17-Apr-16 14:35:55

You can buy cat nappies.

TresDesolee Sun 17-Apr-16 14:41:28

Yeah, was thinking that! Have you ever used them? There seem to be a few different kinds/brands.

Fluffycloudland77 Sun 17-Apr-16 14:49:01

No. Seems a good compromise though.

Geepee71 Sun 17-Apr-16 15:52:22

Take her to the rental with you, she'll hate the cattery!

TresDesolee Sun 17-Apr-16 17:34:25

Thanks both. Will do some cat nappy research

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now