Where do you keep your trays?

(19 Posts)
MagpieCursedTea Sun 17-Apr-16 10:39:15

We have two cats and one of them has issues with using the trays for poo (she will wee in them though). She either poos next to the trays or by the front door (a local Tom cat sprays our door so I think that's why she does that there).
Anyway, we have three trays. Two in the upstairs bathroom and one in the downstairs bathroom. We've spoken to a behaviourist about the poo issues who said the current advice is to have two litter trays for each cat and they all need to be in different locations. I'm struggling to think of four places to put the trays. So where do you have your trays?

PinkSparklyPussyCat Sun 17-Apr-16 12:34:15

We have one cat with one tray which is kept in the bathroom. We definitely don't have space for a second one! Sorry, I know that's not a lot of help to you. Do you have a spare room or utility room?

gingercat02 Sun 17-Apr-16 12:41:25

2 cats one tray in the utility room. Never had issues with them weeing or pooing anywhere else. Tray gets scooped as needed and emptied about twice a week.

NattyGolfJerkin Sun 17-Apr-16 12:43:44

Utility room. We have two cats but only one uses a tray as he is very elderly (21) and lives indoors now. He often misses the tray so I put puppy training pads down under the trays to catch the overspill. It works well for us.

Wolfiefan Sun 17-Apr-16 12:44:05

Two cats. Two trays. One in utility and one in our en suite.
Saw on here recently some people manage one in the cupboard under the stairs.

NattyGolfJerkin Sun 17-Apr-16 12:44:14

I empty the tray daily.

MeadowHay Sun 17-Apr-16 12:56:42

I don't have cats, but my mam has 2 sisters. She has two trays, both in 'diner' type part of the kitchen-diner, right next to the backdoor to the garden. They are indoor cats, were adopted and both used the trays right from the start. The only accidents is that the bigger of the two occasionally misses the tray when she does a poop and some of it goes over the side. My mam has a shower curtain on the floor underneath the trays so it's easy to clean when that happens.

MagpieCursedTea Sun 17-Apr-16 22:14:56

Thanks for the replies! We didn't have any problems with her until we moved into this house. She doesn't seem stressed otherwise (she overgrooms as a reaction to stress). They have access to the outdoors through a cat flap but spend 99% of their time indoors.
I might try changing the litter in each tray completely every day to see if that helps.

NattyGolfJerkin Mon 18-Apr-16 19:34:32

Have you tried a feliway plug in? It helps my two during stressful periods.

InanimateCarbonRod Mon 18-Apr-16 19:36:52

3 cats 4 trays. 2 in the bathroom downstairs and 2 in the utility room. We don't have poo issues but they're scooped daily.

Diamogs Mon 18-Apr-16 19:40:03

2 cats, 2 trays, both in the utility room next to one another.

They both use both trays, they used to be indoor cats in their former home but are now outdoor cats, but they come in to use the litter tray rather than doing it outside hmm

Penguinepenguins Mon 18-Apr-16 19:43:55

Indoor cats here, one box per cat.. Which they are happy with, empty out poop twice a day change the litter every 5/6 days.

My older cat had issues with certain types of litter, just wouldn't poop in it when we moved. Vet suggested it might be the litter was a bit too hard on her paws ok for a quick visit but not for a longer one.

Could you try changing the type litter see if this helps? We haven't had any issues since smile

AngelBlue12 Mon 18-Apr-16 19:44:40

3 cats one tray in the downstairs bathroom. Only have wee outside the litter tray if the children leave clothes or towels on the floor of the bathroom.

AngelBlue12 Mon 18-Apr-16 19:45:07

Oh and they are indoor cats.

Toffeewhirl Mon 18-Apr-16 19:52:15

Two indoor cats. They have two trays: one in the kitchen and one in the dining room. I clear the trays out twice daily and give them a proper clean roughly once a week.

MagpieCursedTea Mon 18-Apr-16 21:24:27

Natty we've tried the feliway plug in, sprays and also zilkene in her food. Doesn't make any difference sadly.

Penguin we've tried every single litter we could find. The low maintenance cat now has a preference for the most expensive one (so is no longer low maintenance) but it hasn't made a difference for the cat with the poo issues.

All trays are scooped out pretty much as soon as there is poop and completely changed every few days. Poo cat (as I'm now calling her) is currently contentedly purring on my shoulder and probably enjoying all the effort that is going into perfecting her environment for her.

cakedup Mon 18-Apr-16 23:35:04

2 indoor cats, one tray, no issues. I keep the litter tray in the hallway cupboard, leaving the door slightly ajar with a doorstop. I am thinking about installing a cathole in the door .

cakedup Mon 18-Apr-16 23:35:55

I've just seen the price for that cat hole, that's ridiculous. I've seen them much cheaper.

Diamogs Thu 21-Apr-16 17:13:48

shock at those cat doors - surely a cat flap in an internal door would do the same job?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now