Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Dental food, does it work?

(7 Posts)
MrsBertMacklin Sun 17-Apr-16 09:59:34

BertCat is prone to gingivitis. The vet has recommended Hills Science dental food, but the cynical part of me noticed the Hills range was extensively stocked in their reception. Also, BertCat is on a grain free diet.

Does anyone have any recommendations, assuming dental food actually works?

Lonecatwithkitten Sun 17-Apr-16 10:34:08

Hills t/d is the only food that has any quality data supporting it's use to help keep teeth clean. It works by a mechanical action as the cat bites through it.
Yes I do think it works very well when used with cats whose teeth have been scaled and polished and then it is fed at at least 25% of the cats diet. In these cases repeat rentals are much less common.

MrsBertMacklin Sun 17-Apr-16 15:02:41

Thanks Lone. There isn't a well reviewed grain free option online, so I'll consider Hills. BertCat is taking fairly well to having her teeth cleaned, so I'm hoping this will help.

She has gingivitis and tartar now, but bet was adamant yesterday that she didn't need a scale. It's been a year since she had work done.

Daftaboutthecat Sun 17-Apr-16 22:49:47

Plaque off has great reviews you put a tiny scoop in their normal food once a day. I got mine off amazon and my cat ears his food with it in no problem.

MyBeloved Tue 19-Apr-16 18:45:46

I can tell you that my girl has had great results from royal canin Dental. I find it is harder than hills. She has calici virus and her gingivitis all but disappeared on this diet alone. Good luck.

MrsBertMacklin Tue 19-Apr-16 20:43:38

Thanks both. I've looked at Plaque Off,bit no way buggering BertCat will be fooled by it being sprinkled on food, I'll check out Royal Canin smile

MyBeloved Tue 19-Apr-16 20:57:53

You must make it a daily part of her diet. Do not mix it with wet food as the dry is very hard indeed deliberately...wet food will soften it and render the dental action useless.. If you like to give wet food, you can do so once per day , but in a separate bowl to the dental food. Regard the dental food as the same as brushing teeth. If you miss a day of dental food the plaque will begin to build up again and the gingivitis will come back. The dental food is complete and the royal Canin is s/o index which means it will not harm the kidneys. I've found it is cheaper to buy in Amazon than at the vet x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now