Talk

Advanced search

cats hit by cars

(13 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

Priscilla146 Sat 16-Apr-16 14:35:52

I witnessed a dreadful hit and run of a little cat in my neighbourhood this week. I did what I could (as a pedestrian) though the cat died. I would like to start a campaign to make it a legal requirement that when a cat is hit by a car the police have to be notified - they have to be called if you hit a dog, sheep, deer, goat etc, but NOT A CAT. This is so wrong.
Even if we can't prevent cats being hit by cars making it a legal requirement to notify the police would mean that worried owners with missing cats would have yet another course of action to find their pet.
I have emailed the Cats' Protection League to see if any campaign currently exists. If not I would like to start one. I would welcome views and suggestions on this - particularly from anyone aux fait with online campaigns.

TheoriginalLEM Sat 16-Apr-16 14:58:49

I agree with you.

Many cats are microchipped and any that we get brought into our practice will be scanned and the owners informed. This of course relies on the cat being taken into the vets for this to happen.

One would hope that most decent people would do this, but there are a lot of people around who don't.

Maybe put together a facebook page, start one of those .gov petittions and share the arse off of it, i would certainly sign it.

DawnMumsnet (MNHQ) Sat 16-Apr-16 15:05:52

Hi Priscilla,

And a warm welcome to Mumsnet. smile

We just wondered if you'd be okay with us moving this thread over to a different topic? We could move it to either Chat or The Litter Tray if you're okay with that.

Do let us know - you can post here or hit the report button.

Thanks.

Priscilla146 Sat 16-Apr-16 15:20:51

that's fine. I wasn't sure where to post it for maximum reaction - so I'm grateful

DawnMumsnet (MNHQ) Sat 16-Apr-16 15:29:28

Great, we actually think The Litter Tray would be the best place for it so we'll move it over there now.

Vinorosso74 Sat 16-Apr-16 16:11:08

There is a petition currently running www.change.org/p/uk-government-make-it-illegal-to-run-over-a-cat-and-not-stop-to-report-it?recruiter=527296124&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=autopublish&utm_term=mob-sm-share_petition-reason_msg
Hope the link works! I've signed it.

Vinorosso74 Sat 16-Apr-16 16:13:20

Posted too soon... I actually signed this a while back but have noticed a couple of people have posted it on Facebook recently so assume it's still open.

Priscilla146 Sat 16-Apr-16 16:20:33

thank you. I'll check it out

Priscilla146 Sat 16-Apr-16 16:30:30

this petition was organised August last year - and there doesn't seem to be any way of checking what's happened to it

Vinorosso74 Sat 16-Apr-16 16:38:45

Ah sorry about that I didn't check that out I assumed wrongly it was open as it had been on Facebook this week. Damn you FB! Hopefully Cats Protection will be able to help.

Priscilla146 Sat 16-Apr-16 16:54:52

No. You did nothing wrong. It's still open! I just wanted to check where it was at. Seems very slow. But thanks so much for putting it my way

Oldraver Sat 16-Apr-16 23:38:07

Our cat was hit and left in the road. A woman (who we later found out worked with OH) moved him onto the grass and I think reported him to the council and posted on a website, it was the second cat she had moved that day.

We found out about him from the council who picked him up as he was chipped. I realise the person may not of known they had hit him but it does irritate me that people can just drive off.

TheHauntedFishtank Mon 18-Apr-16 20:59:21

I would absolutely support this. You did a lovely thing helping that poor cat too flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now