Talk

Advanced search

Ticks

(5 Posts)
coffeeisnectar Thu 14-Apr-16 15:43:10

Boy cat 2 has come home with a tick on his face, it's pretty small and not swollen yet so I'm taking him to the vet shortly to get it removed.

What's the best product to prevent them? I use a flea and tick droplet which I put on their necks (four cats) but clearly it's not worked.

Suggestions please and any tips on how to remove them in future if he gets more as he has a tendency to go off hunting in the undergrowth dead rats and mice regularly found outside the door

cozietoesie Thu 14-Apr-16 16:24:24

Will he wear a collar? I have a memory that the Seresto collar will prevent against ticks as well as fleas.

Long grass and undergrowth are the devil for ticks. Is he a wide roamer?

coffeeisnectar Thu 14-Apr-16 20:14:12

No, he won't wear a collar. He's a climber anyway and I wouldn't want to risk him getting caught up.

He does seem to have a wide-ranging roaming area, he follows my girls to the main road most mornings on the walk to school (which is several streets away) and he's been seen a lot further away in the other direction. We have lots of long grass on the area behind the house as well.

The tick was removed (and the vet was lovely and didn't charge for the visit or removal) and I'll just apply his normal stuff again and hope it's a one-off. But I have a feeling this little ginger monkey is going to be a bit of a nightmare!

DraenorQueen Thu 14-Apr-16 20:15:58

I've never successfully stopped mine getting ticks. I have a tick twister and take them off myself. Lsst year I got tick on ME though, it was awful - I had to go to minor injuries to get it removed, I was a complete baby about it! grin

coffeeisnectar Fri 15-Apr-16 11:34:45

Urgh! I may invest in a tick twister actually, with four cats (only two go wandering) I may save myself a few quid long term.

The vet was telling me that it's a hazard of his job and he's had a few himself. One was on the inside of his thigh and he pulled it out in the shower but the head was left inside. He got out the shower and was sat with his leg cocked up digging around in his leg with a needle and his wife walked in and wondered what on earth he was doing. He showed me the scar on his elbow from where one got infected but thankfully not the one on his inside leg!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now